Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

simultaneous failure logic boards two 2008 IMac 24" machines, what to do?

Over the course of the last two weeks I have had two IMac24" machines purchased in 2008 fail [serial QP*******0KM & QP*******0KM) . In both cases the logic board was the cause for failure (diagnosed by the Apple store). The Apple store indicated that I should refer to the Apple Care support desk, the support desk indicated that the fault was random and that since the computers were out of warranty there is no redress from Apple.

Given that the two computers were purchased at about the same time i believe that the chances of "random" logic board failures on both computers, within 10 days, are close to zero and that there is likely to be fault in the batch of computers and logic boards. I would like to see some compensation from Apple but not sure where to go next

Grateful for any advise on how to proceed.

<Edited by Host>

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 4:12 PM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2014 3:48 PM in response to JAM_JAM

I had the same thing happen last week. My serial number is also QP*******0KM. I've found several references to a known problem with the GPU connection to the logic board in these models. The repair place I took it to diagnosed it as a "logic board failure" and wants $600 to repair it. The annoying thing is that everything else about the machine is fine. I can connect via Screen Sharing and do anything I want on it. This is the downside of the iMac all-in-one I suppose - I can't just buy a replacement monitor. Anyone else have luck with Apple covering the repair?

Mar 10, 2015 5:59 PM in response to JAM_JAM

Just asking but did you happen to upgrade to Yosemite? In December, I posted on the forum about my MBP logic board frying within a week of installing the "free" upgrade to Yosemite. I was sent Personal Emails telling me that "Rants" were not allowed on the forum. That it was for a constructive exchange of problem solving and finding solutions to common errors or faults. I was warned that if I continue to "Rant" about my failed logic board passing blame on Yosemite, my forum account would be removed. I did see many in forums that claimed the Yosemite link. Good Luck but Apple is holding firm, look for law suit info.

simultaneous failure logic boards two 2008 IMac 24" machines, what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.