Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

further increase tempo

I played a piano piece into GarageBand at a slow tempo. But I misjudged in how much I'd need to increase the speed by starting with the tempo set to high at the outset. Now at the top of the tempo increase (240) the piece is still too slow. Can I get around this, somehow to increase the tempo further or must I simply reenter all of the affected performance?

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 6:35 PM

10 replies

Feb 20, 2014 6:46 PM in response to James Thomson

What is your GarageBand version?

In GarageBand '11 you could finish the project at this slow speed, and then share the finished project to the disk as an audio file and import the audio to GarageBand to spped it up.

To increase the tempo of an audio file create a project with a lsow tempo setting, import the audio file, enable "Follow tempos and pitch" for the track, and then increase the tempo of the project.

Feb 22, 2014 7:47 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie:

I was quite excited to find this feature on GarageBand, but when I used it I found that the sound of the piano (this piece is just one midi piano) was distorted so I'm going to still resort to re-entering most of the piece. Do you think my problem is that my 7 year old iMac is too old and just not with enough memory of what ever sort it uses for this type of work?

Just as an aside, I have been using GarageBand for about 6 years to create all of my choral accompaniments to the choirs that perform at school where I teach as music teacher. I'm now in the process of moving up to Logic Pro - a long term learning process - primarily for the ability to start creating my own music. I'm surely due for a more powerful iMac with this in mind and will probably be replacing my iMac this or next year.

Regardless, I'm hoping that it's my iMac's lack of power that is causing the GarageBand "follow pitch & tempo" to cause resulting distortion because I'd rather think that the GarageBand option works well if afforded proper hardware.

Feb 22, 2014 8:15 AM in response to James Thomson

Regardless, I'm hoping that it's my iMac's lack of power that is causing the GarageBand "follow pitch & tempo" to cause resulting distortion because I'd rather think that the GarageBand option works well if afforded proper hardware.

Follow tempo & pitch will work fine, as long as you do not have to change the tempo too much. It is the resampling algorithm and not your mac, that is causing it. You could try to add a low pass filter to remove the high frequency artifacts, but that would make the piano sound less brilliant. Piano sound is always very difficult.

further increase tempo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.