Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a brand new MacBook Air. When I turned it on it was in Chinese and it says "yanghua" then is asking for a password. Why is it doing this, and how to I get it to English. Could this be a used laptop previously owned by some Chinese dude?

Help with new MacBook Air??

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:09 PM

It seems the Air you bought is not new. Take it back and get a refund.

11 replies

Feb 21, 2014 2:56 AM in response to Mlefler

Sorry I forgot to mention I did buy it directly from the apple online store. I'm thinking maybe it is a refurbished one? I'm worried when I call they will simply walk me through how to convert it to English, but I will argue this was obviously a used computer it has a username and is requesting a password. Hopefully they send a new one. Thanks for everyone's feedback, really appreciate it!

Feb 21, 2014 3:17 AM in response to Mlefler

If it IS refurbished, you should have been aware that it was - refurbished computers are a different section of the Apple online store. Check the online new price for the spec of the one you bought and compare it with what price is on your receipt. If the amount on the receipt is less, then you have bought a refurb. If the price is the same, then you have a right to expect new.

Feb 21, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Mlefler

When you turn on a NEW Mac, of any model, for the first time one of the first screens that comes up is one that you Select the Language you want to use. Then it goes on into other setup pages to set your location and the like.

If when you turned that supposedly NEW Air on for the first time all texts was in Chinese, you weren't presented with a dialog windows to choose a language and then you were prompted for a Password someone someplace had started that Mac before you got it. IE it is Used, it had been used.

Even if you purchased a Refurbish unit it still should present you with the normal setup assistant screens the first time you turn it on. It should not ask for a password and should not be set to any specific language setting.

Send it Back as Defective. Apple has a 14 day Not Questions Asked return policy for full refund. Take advantage of that and send it back.

Mlefler wrote:

Thanks for your help, I bought this directly from the online Apple store. Why would they sell me a fake. Do I call them and tell them I'm sending it back and I want a new one, and they are paying for my shipping?

Feb 21, 2014 10:19 AM in response to Mlefler

Hello everyone thank you for all your help, just called Apple and they are sending me a brand new laptop, and paying for the Mac office at home software I just bought, no charge, they are refunding my credit card. ($150)

Very positive experience, good company to deal with.

Thanks again for all your help and advice! (PS they were not sure what happened - or just did not want to say - but o well they are making up for the inconvenience)

-Mike

I just bought a brand new MacBook Air. When I turned it on it was in Chinese and it says "yanghua" then is asking for a password. Why is it doing this, and how to I get it to English. Could this be a used laptop previously owned by some Chinese dude?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.