Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade CPU on MacBook Air for graphic design, and will a MacBook Air last?

I am currently a student in my last year, going to school for graphic design. I am in the process of choosing a new laptop, and have noticed many stories of graphic designers switching a to the MacBook Air line without many hiccups. I have two questions. In order to effectively run Adobe Creative Suite software, excluding video, should I upgrade the CPU or will the 1.3 i5 cut it. I'm also wondering about lasting power for these little machines. I'm not worried about screen real-estate, as external monitors are plentiful. I am worried about needing to upgrade my entire machine in two to three years because of the lack up upgradeability and the increasing rate of software development. Again, I will be mainly focusing on print and web design, so nothing's terribly heavy, but I also can't afford to upgrade machines every two years. What do you all think?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 11:19 PM

You cannot upgrade the CPU or RAM on the Air.

The i5 will 'cut it' it just fine. Im running most of CS and some CC Adobe apps just fine .

By 'lasting power' if you mean longevity, the Air has the fewest parts and if taken care of will last just fine

IF by same you mean the battery, if you treat it right you should get 3+ years out of the battery

all batteries however are consumables meant to be replaced eventually due to wear on lithium chemistry from use and charging.

Since you arent using any heavy graphic intense applications you should be fine,

most applications I use will work fine on one of my Macs made in 2007, so..... 😊

Considerations for the long life of your Macbook Air. Handling and environmental care tips

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 11:19 PM in response to chrismcolvin

You cannot upgrade the CPU or RAM on the Air.

The i5 will 'cut it' it just fine. Im running most of CS and some CC Adobe apps just fine .

By 'lasting power' if you mean longevity, the Air has the fewest parts and if taken care of will last just fine

IF by same you mean the battery, if you treat it right you should get 3+ years out of the battery

all batteries however are consumables meant to be replaced eventually due to wear on lithium chemistry from use and charging.

Since you arent using any heavy graphic intense applications you should be fine,

most applications I use will work fine on one of my Macs made in 2007, so..... 😊

Considerations for the long life of your Macbook Air. Handling and environmental care tips

Feb 20, 2014 11:22 PM in response to chrismcolvin

Understood, that was unclear then.

I7 is rougly 15% faster on heavier applications than the 15

on most things youll see no difference between i5 and I7 processor,...(see below)

you should most certainly get the 8gig of RAM over the 4gig, since the cost is very little more

see here:

Here is an excellent video comparison between the 11” I5 vs. I7 2013 Macbook Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqJ-on03z4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-465 0u/2

I5 vs. I7 performance 13” Macbook Air 2013

Boot performance

11.7 I5 ……11.4 I7

Cinebench

1.1 I5….1.41 I7

IMovie Import and Opt.

6.69 I5….5.35 I7

IMovie Export

10.33 I5…8.20 I7

Final Cut Pro X

21.47 I5…17.71 I7

Adobe Lightroom 3 Export

25.8 I5….31.8 I7

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Performance

27.3 I5…22.6 I7

what you WONT READ on Apple.com etc. is that the larger SSD are MUCH FASTER due to SSD density

"The 512GB Samsung SSD found in our 13-inch model offers roughly a 400MB/s increase in write speeds over the 128GB SanDisk/Marvell SSD"

http://blog.macsales.com/19008-performance-testing-not-all-2013-macbook-air-ssds -are-the-same

Feb 21, 2014 6:00 AM in response to chrismcolvin

If you would be using your MBA with a monitor why not get a MacPro? The MBA is meant to be a portable machine, not kept plugged into a monitor all the time (that will reduce battery life). You should unplug it once a month and use the battery to condition it and prolong life. . . but if you're working in one location most of the time what you should be purchasing is a used Mac Pro that is extremely versatile and upgradeable as opposed to an MBA.

You can pick up a referb'd MacPro at a good price, and it will still qualify for Apple Care.

Just my opinion and thoughts, along with some factual considerations.

Feb 21, 2014 7:36 AM in response to themachead

Those are good points. I will, however, be using the computer without being plugged in quite a bit. As a student I am constantly working in the dorm, studio, library, and computer lab on the same day. Currently, however, I have to do all of my work on the school's iMacs. This isn't bad, but it would be nice to have flexability. The reason I would use an external monitor is just for extra space in my dorm.

You make a good point with the MacPro, but I simply can't afford that these days, and I also don't want to feel tied down to working in one place, whether it's editing photos, writing some html, or just browsing the web.

Feb 21, 2014 7:54 AM in response to chrismcolvin

I am currently a student in my last year, going to school for graphic design. I am in the process of choosing a new laptop . . . I took that to mean you were ready to graduate college.

A MBA will also need external drives for storage and backup. IF those drives are not self-powered there goes your battery life.

Think beyond today and the dorm room... what do you see yourself doing after Graduation? If it's Grad School the MBA still makes sense, if you're going to be starting your own Graphics Business, or working from home, not so much.

Although Apple has no current Mac Pro's in refurb... a Used Mac Pro with upgraded RAM can be purchased for about the price of new high end MBA. There might even be advanced students at your college who would rather sell a MacPro than box it up and take it home.

Some box stores have "open box" MacPros at a discount... just explore all your possibilities.

Should I upgrade CPU on MacBook Air for graphic design, and will a MacBook Air last?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.