Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

local ios update server

I run a small network and a have lot of users have personal iDevices. All of which they like to update when they are released.

However our internet speed is not that good 2-4mb downstream.

What I would like to do is cache iOS updates locally for these people so that the file is only downloaded once.

I am currently using reposado to host OS X updates which seem to work really well. Repo can not do iOS updates though.

As these are personal devices is there a way either using OS X server or other software that this can be achieved?

If I was to buy a mac mini with OS X server it would be on a different vlan to the users personal devices. I can modify DNS entries to redirect requests to a local server.

At present I tend to download the .ipsw files and then pass it round on a USB stick but if I could automate this it would be better.

Any advice?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 2:08 AM

1 reply

Feb 21, 2014 4:13 AM in response to shaunfromhull

Hi Shaun,

For a Mavericks Server you can enable the Caching Server, which will create a local copy of every download made by an admin or user. So if you download a new iOS update, that update is cached locally and will be presented to all others users as seen as they want to update their device. That will limit the strain on your internetconnection.

Get more info here:

https://www.apple.com/support/osxserver/cachingservice/

As long as both vlan's use the same public WAN IP address, the caching service should work fine.

Goodluck!

Jeffrey

local ios update server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.