Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use OS X Server (Mavericks) to synch Contacts and Calendar between a Mac and an iPhone/iPad

After the long discussion "How to locally sync an iPhone with OS X Mavericks? iCloud is NOT an option." (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5460803?answerId=24901872022#24901872022&ac_cid=tw123456#24901872) and some branched discussions, I'm starting this to help with the specific technical aspects of setting up OS X Server (Mavericks) to synch Contacts and Calendar.

I downloaded OS X Server last night and I'm still working on the setup. I've been using the notes at Security Spread (http://securityspread.com/2013/10/27/setting-sync-server/). The main problem I had was moving the Contacts from 'All on my Mac' to 'All OS X Server'.

TopSteve commented:

NOW looking at the instuctions or flowing I think it needs some clafication.

1) Open the Internet Accounts panel and on the Sync user account un-tick the Contacts.

2) If the Contacts app is open quit it

3) Open the server app and goto Accounts Users on the sidebar.

4) You should see the SyncUser to created and yourself yes?

6) For Contacts I added user SyncCon (for me contacts did not work using the same accout as Cal)

7) In the server I disabled "Contacts" in "Edit Access to Services" for every user only having it enabled on "SyncCon"

This is where I do things difent from the instuctions you flowo (sorry I did not put this elaler)

8) Open the Contacts App and in the menu top of the screen "Contacts" - "Preferences" (NOT) "Accounts"

9) Click on the TAB "Accounts" in "Preerences" and click "+" chose "Other" then "CardDAV" from the pull down. Now add the info for user and server as in the instuctions.

10) Highlight and drag all the accounts on "All on my Mac" then drag them to "All OS X Server"

After you do all this I find the most usfull menu on Contacts (if you have more than one card with the same info selected) is "Card" - "Marge and/or Link"

I hope this all helps

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 5:09 AM

23 replies

Feb 21, 2014 6:30 AM in response to Skakagrall

In my Contacts preferences/accounts I mow have 4 items! These are:

1. OS X Server CardDav

2. [XYZ]CardDav

3. [XYZ.local] CardDav

4. On My Mac Local

Is this too many?

On Contacts itself, there seem to a complete lists of contacts on all the items (above) except OS X Server

____

Another question: is the synch supposed to happen in the background? Is it suppsed to happen automatically when you start OS X Server. This is isn't clear to me.

Feb 22, 2014 4:00 AM in response to Skakagrall

Using a server any server it is normal to use ethernet or WiFi and as I am sync'ing a iPhone it's WiFi. I am shore there are ways to use USB as a network connection but the iPhone and iPad use a Apple protocol for there USB connection and I do not know how to change that.

If WiFi is a problem(for any resin) perhaps googling for USB to ETHERNET for iPhone may give some ways/devices to do this. Once I have got the test server working and posted all the blog entries then I'll look into this.

How to use OS X Server (Mavericks) to synch Contacts and Calendar between a Mac and an iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.