Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

*Fix* Usage and Standby Times are the same - iPhone 4S 7.0.4

I'd like to share my experience here because I actually found the solution on here but I'm actually having trouble finding it again.

I had three problems:

1. My standby and usage times were always reporting the same values, thus draining my battery faster than usual. This is not normal behavior; whenever the screen is off it should report standby times, and after the phone is unlocked it is considered usage. They should never be recording in tangent.

2. Whenever I would try to turn off my phone by holding down the power button, the phone would basically restart itself, showing the Apple logo boot screen and then restarting. The only caveat was that it would turn off if it was plugged in and being charged. But take it off the charger and try to replicate it turning off and it would restart.

3. The sound would sometimes think that it was connected to a Dock, so when I went to the Airplay options, they were listed as Dock Connector, Airport Express and Apple TV. There would be no volume slider in the Control Center, and when pressing the volume buttons, there would be no dots, just the bell with a line through it.

Many people might be having genuine battery issues, where you have an older phone and your battery is just really bad and needs to be replaced. My 4S was still under AppleCare in December 2013 and the battery was pretty bad, so I had it replaced in an Apple Store. So for me, the battery life itself was not the problem.

I tried a lot of things to try and fix the above problem but none of them helped. This includes chatting with Apple support (I was surprised they didn't steer me in an obvious direction, considering the large amount of folks who were having these kinds of problems, but they played dumb), restoring fresh and restoring icloud and itunes backups, all kinds of combinations of settings for Mail, iCloud, etc., but nothing worked. I probably restored my phone at least ten times in my troubleshooting efforts. The isolated test of restoring my phone fresh, setting it up to the start screen, making sure the battery was charged 100% and taking it off the charger waiting about 10 minutes. Then I would check standby and usage times.

I had read about fixes for the phone not being able to turn completely off, and it had something to do with cleaning the charging port. I attempted to clean the port with compressed air and other methods, but it never fixed this problem. Then I read a post on Apple Support about a guy who had the exact same problems as I did, then said he changed out his charging port and this fixed it. Well, it was $40 so I paid someone to do it in 45 minutes.

After I got my phone back the problem didn't appeared to be fixed, but after a restore and even with an icloud backup restored with it, I looked down at my phone and presto chango, the times where separate and working as they should. Last night with wifi off while I was sleeping, the battery only went down 3%. I know this is turning out to be a narrative, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem was and it was a frustrating process. I'm happy it's resolved.

Apple Support thought it was a corrupt install package from iTunes, or some kind of software glitch or maybe some part of iCloud constantly trying to call home, but it was a combination of both hardware and software. Because of the bad charging port, for some reason the phone thought it was still being used and thus was still treating standby as usage.

I would encourage those that are having this problem to do a test and see if your phone will turn off when you want it to. If it resets automatically and if your standby usage times are the same, replacing the charging port might fix it.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 6:35 AM

2 replies

Mar 21, 2014 5:47 AM in response to msechea

Ever since iOS7.0.6. and still on iOS7.1 both me and my wife had huge battery drain on our iPhone 4S and stand-by was equal to usage time. We finally found the solution to a post of another user on the Dutch Tweakers forum. There seem to be a bug within a certain Dutch coupon app called 'Scoupy' which drained the battery completely although GPS setting was turned of and also 'refresh on background' was off.

Scoupy said that a fix for their app is send for approval to the App Store. We removed the app and our usage/stand-by time is again as normal (higher stand-by time then usage time) and best of all a 'normal' battery use as it was the case on iOS7.0.4. I hope this could help someone. I'm wondering if the iBeacon changes in iOS7.0.6/7.1 together with a bug in the Scoupy app could be the cause? Maybe this is also with our similar apps you have on your phone.

Nov 23, 2014 1:13 PM in response to msechea

I can confirm, replacing the dock resolved the battery drain problem and usage and standby times are now very different as they are supposed to be. I think my dock had an issue as it kept telling me it was connected to an audio dock and one of my symptoms was that no audio would be produced by the phone when playing music or using an app. My phone was loosing 10-20% an hour before the replacement. I did it myself but be warned, this is not for the faint hearted, lots of tiny tiny screws and delicate cables, do so at your own risk!

Otherwise, most little mobile phone shops will do it at a reasonable cost.

*Fix* Usage and Standby Times are the same - iPhone 4S 7.0.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.