Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have had much help from Dell, Apple,and Overdrive, but I cannot import WMA audiobooks (Win 8 computer) to iTunes.This is necessary to transfer them to my iPhone.

I am unable to transfer/download Overdrive WMA audiobooks from the public library to iTunes, and this is necessary in order to then transfer the audiobooks to my iPhone 4. With many hours of help from Dell (Windows 8), one hour from an Apple rep, and many emails from Overdrive personnel (they don't do phone support), I still cannot do this. Also, these various reps have completely uninstalled iTunes and all other Apple software and then reinstalled it. They cannot solve my problem. Also,every time I try to sign on to iTunes, before I can sign on, I have to check OK to the following message:

"The registry setting used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes." Well, as I mentioned, it's been reinstalled three times. The Dell and Apple reps could not solve this. Then who can! Maybe this message and its implications is what is keeping me from being to download WMA audiobooks to iTunes.

Another thing: One of the Overdrive emails said for the to go to the drop down iTunes menu andselect Preferences. Then I was supposed to select the General tab and then Import Settings. Then I was supposed to select Spoken Podcast from the Setting drop downmenu. But That is not a choice. There is no Spoken Podcast term on my very recently reinstalled iTunes. I also wondered if LightScribe software could be interfering with things (installing other CD burning software). The Dell rep told me it wasn't a problem, but I am wondering.

Can anybody help me? If Dell, Apple, and Overdrive can't get it right, who can!!!

iPhone 4, Windows 8, problem with iTunes and Overdrive

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 9:14 AM

First, most audiobooks checked out from public libraries have copy protection, demanded by the content owners to limit how many people can check out a book at one time, and so cannot be played in iTunes or applications other than Overdrive which can handle the copy protection. I'd suggest you start with your public library and ask if these audiobooks are in an open format or are indeed protected. If they're protected, you will not be able to play them in iTunes since the audibooks cannot be converted to a format iTunes can play.

The Import settings in iTunes affect only tracks imported from audio CD and would have nothing to do with tracks from Overdrive or any other download source, so whoever from Overdrive gave you that suggestion was wrong.

As to the problem with the "registry settings missing" error, did the Apple support technician walk you through this process?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299

Regards/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2014 9:14 AM in response to JennyCVB

First, most audiobooks checked out from public libraries have copy protection, demanded by the content owners to limit how many people can check out a book at one time, and so cannot be played in iTunes or applications other than Overdrive which can handle the copy protection. I'd suggest you start with your public library and ask if these audiobooks are in an open format or are indeed protected. If they're protected, you will not be able to play them in iTunes since the audibooks cannot be converted to a format iTunes can play.

The Import settings in iTunes affect only tracks imported from audio CD and would have nothing to do with tracks from Overdrive or any other download source, so whoever from Overdrive gave you that suggestion was wrong.

As to the problem with the "registry settings missing" error, did the Apple support technician walk you through this process?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299

Regards/

Feb 12, 2015 12:49 AM in response to JennyCVB

This is pretty easy. First, you only download mp3 options, not any wma audiobooks. Just save yourself the hassle. You can transfer it over to iTunes. It will go into your music folder (you cannot change this). Hover over the book and right click. Select the "get info" option. You will then need to go in and probably add artwork, the cover of the book, so you can recognize it more easily (it's a crap-shot on if it will transfer over, but mostly it does not). Then go into one of the next tabs... Sorry, I cannot check what that is called right now. Part of the reason I am here is that iTunes is freaking out and freezing on me. Anywho, you should see something on one of the next tabs that says "music" in the top middle of the page. Click on that and you will have several options, click on "audiobook". This will then move it permanently over to your audiobook folder. Now, you can also transfer directly over to your ipod, but it may go to your music folder, or... Another reason why I am here tonight. Something is going on with transferring also, and now the audiobook option on my ipod has disappeared after iTunes freak out. But that's my problem. Just stick to mp3 audiobooks, messing with wma's is a ***** and after taking the time to convert them, there is no guarantee it will play (have gotten electronic noise before), or it might shuffle the deck and everything is out of place. It still occasionally does that to mp3 books, when I transfer to ipod.

Anywho, hope this helps some. Took me forever to figure this crap out. Sadly, when I had just a plain old mp3 player, all this crap was so much easier. I could store wma and mp3 books, never lost the artwork. And the software was super easy to use. Sigh, guess I learned my lesson. 🙂

I have had much help from Dell, Apple,and Overdrive, but I cannot import WMA audiobooks (Win 8 computer) to iTunes.This is necessary to transfer them to my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.