Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I need to download "sh" files to a flash drive on my Mac?

I have a new Viking Husqvarna sewing machine 960Q. The software update instructions from Husqvarna are:

Download the update software and unzip it to a USB stick. Save the file at the root level, do not place the file in any folder.

The updates are in "sh" format and the Husqvara "help desk" said I need a Winzip program. I tried that but found nothing yet that opens an "sh" file. Please don't make me do terminal stuff! There has to be an easy way!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 9:27 AM

25 replies

Feb 21, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Lenore Schmidt

I think you may have Windows software, not software that runs on a Mac. Files with a .sh extension are shell or command files to use in the Terminal. I think you need to ask the developer if they have software that runs on a Mac.

On the Mac you can install a third-party utility called Winzip 2.0. I don't know if it can open the archives you have assuming that is what they are.

Feb 21, 2014 9:45 AM in response to Tony T1

Here's what I get using Text Edit:

%spx% 8Produced with VSM_SD library ƒ î _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ $.‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù< _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù- _ .‡]¿å† .‡N B@ Ë – X X † B@ † Ù- ]¿ X< ]¿ X< ]¿ X< $]¿ X< ]¿ X< ]¿ X< ]¿ X< ]¿ X- ]¿ X- )}} Ë ¯ ¯ ¯ ¸ " % ˘

È Áˇ‰˚ÌÙÙÚ ˜ ¸

Ò Á˚Áı˚ Ä1 ÎÄ Ä1 Ä Ä1 Ä Ä1 ˛ Ä Ä1 Ò Ä Ä1 ÛÚÄ Ä1 ¸·Ä Ä1 ËÄ Ä1 ÏÄ Ä1 ˇÄ Ä1 Ä Ä1 Ä Ä1 Ä Ä1 ˇ Ä Ä1 Û Ä Ä1 Ù Ä ˙ ıˆ

ı ˆ ÙÙ ıˆÚ¸ 0 'ˆˆ Ù Óˆ Ïı ÓÙ Úˆ Ùı

ˆı€ ¸ ˙

¯ ˜

ˆ Ù

Ú  Ó

Ì Î

Í

Is this considered the "root file?" I'm not how to copy this directly to my USB stick without a folder as the Husqvarna instructions dictate?

Feb 21, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Kappy

I spoke with the Husqvarna help desk and they suggested the Winzip -- here are their instructions:

1. Download the updates zip-file. You need a file compression utility to open the file (WinZip or similar).
  2. Extract the file and save the file in the root of the USB memory, not in any folder. Make sure no other update file (.clo file) is present in the root of the USB stick.

However, I guess I'm not finding the right "winzip" utility? Any recommendations?

Feb 21, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Lenore Schmidt

STOP STOP STOP

You did the unzip just right, the .sh7 are the file you extracted from the .zip,

so no more unzip needed.

In order to install the update .clo file:

• Make sure you don’t have any older version of a .clo file on your stick.
  • Switch off your machine.
  • Connect the USB embroidery stick loaded with the new software version to the USB port on your machine.
  • While pressing and holding the reverse button, turn your machine on.
  • The update starts automatically and you can release the reverse button when the progress bar appears.

Note: It might take up to one minute before the progress bar appears and you can release the reverse button.

When the update is complete the machine will restart automatically. Check the software version number in the settings menu.

In order for your machine to read the .sh7:

• Insert the USB with the .sh7 files.
  • Go to the file browser of your machine.
  • From there you can open the .sh7 by touch and hold over the file.

This is a Mac forum, how the h**l is supposed we know that?

What do I need to download "sh" files to a flash drive on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.