Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting 1440p on a Macbook Pro [PB278Q]

Hello all,

I've recently bought an Asus PB278Q thinking that I would be able to run 1440p. I did some research and various sources recommended a Startech MDP2DPMM6 mini displayport to displayport connector to get 1440p on a Macbook Pro so I got one of those. However, like many people it seems, I can't select any resolution above 1080p (using Mavericks).

Strangely enough the display dialog seems buggy; it automatically selects "scaled" but the list of supported resolutions is empty, except when starting up the first time it does show 2560x1440 and 1900x1080, though clicking 2560 does nothing. When option + clicking the scaled radio button the list fills up but the highest resolution is still 1080p. When clicking the "best for display" radio button the display briefly fades to black and when coming back the scaled option is selected again and the dialog hangs for a few seconds.

User uploaded file

I've gone through suggestions on this page:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5485930?answerId=23545903022#23545903022

Tried the EDID patch (even though this isn't a Dell monitor but you never know) and resetting PRAM (with the cable disconnected) but still nothing. Anything else I can do? Isn't there an EDID patch for asus monitors or something? Cheers! 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 9:40 AM

5 replies

Feb 22, 2014 2:21 PM in response to Melophage

Actually I got it to work by:

- Switching the monitor to 1:1 display when it was at 1900x1080. This changed the display dialog; the list of resolutions completely disappeared and the refresh rate dropdown became selectable (it contained 60hz twice and 50hz once for some reason).

- Switching the monitor back back to scaled, the dialog stayed the same.

- Selecting the 90 degree rotation option. Now the resolution list contained 1440x2560.

- Reverting the rotation with the countdown dialog.

- Now 2560x1440 was still selectable in the resolution box, selected it and voila.

Not sure whats going on with my OSX install but it's very weird. Been working for a day now with my €9,- mini displayport to displayport cable, including going to sleep and waking up. Not touching the display dialog anymore now 😝

Jul 10, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Swoopeh

I just wanted to thank all of you for the help I got by reading your posts.

I have just installed two ASUS PB278Q monitors on my MacBook Pro 15-in Retina, and they are working very well.

My setup:

• MacBook Pro 15-in Retina (early 2013)
  • OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • 2 ASUS PB278Q monitors purchased from B&H within the last month
  • StarTech MiniDisplayPort (MDP) to DisplayPort (DP) 10-ft cable from StarTech.com (purchased on Amazon.com)
  • One monitor is daisy-changed through a LaCie Thunderbolt drive, and the second is directed to one of my two Thunderbolt ports on my MBA-15R.

I didn't really have any trouble installing these monitors at the max resolution of 2560x1440. The first monitor I installed, I did have to turn it off/on to see the "Scaled Resolution" of 2560x1440. The second monitor, installed today, came up in the max res without any effort on my part.

I installed the first monitor under Mt. Lion, and then after upgrade to Mavericks, I installed the second monitor.

If you are having problems achieving the max res of 2560x1440, I encourage you to keep trying, read all of the posts on this forum. It CAN be done!

I highly recommend both B&H Photo/Video as a vendor and StarTech.com products. I use both B&H and Amazon.com a lot.

Getting 1440p on a Macbook Pro [PB278Q]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.