Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to solve video "stutter" when Imported?

Been using FCP7 for some time now and this is becoming a real issue. I have video that was shot HD professionally. 1280X720. Compressor H.264. 24 FPS. Play it back thru QY and no issue. Import into the project and place intothe Viewer, there and on the timeline is the issue. The video has a "stuttering" effect, where it would almost seem as if it's missing a frame per second. No "going to black", just the stutter.

I have gone back thru all the various tutorials on settings, tried numerous different ones along with the recommended. No change. Even tried rendering to see if it would fix. I ALSO washed the video thru a converter, setting it to once again roll as an MOV and with the recommended settings. Again, plays back fine on QT. Put it into FCP, same stutter.

I have included the "Analyze Movie" info here as an attachment. This has completely stopped a big project, and **** if I want to try and take it to IMovie or something else just to get it done and have it look like ****.

Suggestions VERY appreciated. Thank you. User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 12:12 PM

FCP HATES to edit h.264.

Suggestion #1

Convert your material to ProRes before bringing it into FCP to edit.

x

4 replies

Feb 21, 2014 4:42 PM in response to scisport66

Is the frame rate really 24fps? What frame rate are you working with in your sequence?

In FCP, click on the problematic source clip in the FCP Browser and type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Either report those properties, or post a screen shot if the item properties for the source clip.

Next, click anywhere on your timeline and type Command + 0 {zero} to see the Sequence Settings for the timeline. Either report those settings here or take a screen shot and post it here.

As Studio X has noted, FCP-7 does not work well with H.264 material and mixed frame rates.

You should convert all your source material to a common standard, using an edit friendly codec such as Pro Res prior to import in FCP-7.

MtD

Feb 22, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Meg The Dog

For both responders, I was truly unaware of the H.264 issue. And I did check the shooting rate and it was 24 FPS. When I looked at the other transferred clips, they were a higher rate and not H.264. It makes me think I may have transferred them incorrectly.

I have recently started to use the Pro Res settings so let's see how that goes. I've had this issue crop up before and thinking now it may have been for the same H.264 reason.

I tried washing the video thru QT and exporting, but all I got was a "General Error" when placing the vid in the editor. Any idea why?

I may have found a better copy of the same vid and that may alleviate the issue for now. I'm going to pay closer attention to this next time.

Thanks for the assist. I'll post with updates.

Feb 22, 2014 9:53 AM in response to scisport66

Best way to bring tapeless media into FCP is through Log and Transfer, not QT. Go to File > Log and Transfer. Click the + folder icon and navigate to your original media location. Make sure you select the little gear wheel (for settings) and that it's set for ProRes (whatever flavor you like, probably the standard 422).

For a complete explanation, look in Help for Log and Transfer. It's pretty straightforward and it will place the proper files into your Capture Scratch folder.

Mike

How to solve video "stutter" when Imported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.