Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for the iPad mini Smart Case not to lie flat when open?

I just bought a black smart case for a new retina iPad mini and it doesn't seem to fit properly. As you can see in the pics below, when the lid is folded behind the iPad, the hinge just isn't long enough to allow it to sit flat, and it leaves the iPad raised off the surface by almost a centimeter. Makes typing almost impossible. If I try and push it flat, it starts to pull the edge with the hinge off the iPad.

Did I get a dodgy one? I've already returned it, but just thinking about whether I try another one or look for a third party alternative.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 2:37 PM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2014 4:35 PM in response to Pinksteady

I think it's normal. I had the same issue at first but as you break in the leather hinge it will fold back a lot better. After a few weeks of usage mine now fold back almost completely flush with the back of the case.

I returned the first smart case I purchased because I encountered the same issue and tried the smart cover. After trying both, I went back to the smart case and have not looked back since.

Feb 26, 2014 4:40 PM in response to stuperburrito

Thanks for the reply, that's really interesting. I went and tried a second one in-store and had the same problem, but the Apple sales guy was really unsympathetic, had no opinion in the issue and literally said to me "well if you don't like it, don't buy it"... so I didn't! I just bought a Smart Cover instead which is what I've always used previously. Maybe I'll give the cover another go one day.

Is it normal for the iPad mini Smart Case not to lie flat when open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.