Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black flickering boxes in Photoshop CC on rMBP 13" (late 2013)

Hi,

I got my new rMBP 13" today and installed Photoshop CC - and was a little disappointed with the experience.

When I´m using brushes black boxes start appearing/flickering when moving the brush around the canvas. After some googling I understand there were a similar problem with MacBook Air last summer and Apple made a fix for it. I can not find a fix for the late 2013 rMBP at the moment.

Does anyone else have the same problem - or is it a problem with my machine? Is it a problem with Photoshop CC? I have version 14.2.1. The problem appears when the display is set to both high and low resolution.

I´m grateful for all responses.

My system:

Apple MBP 13" (late 2013), i5, 2.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD.

kyrresu

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 2:28 PM

8 replies

Feb 22, 2014 3:43 AM in response to kyrresu

Follow up.

I talked to Apple Support today, and they told me it was not a problem with the machine or the video card, but with Photoshop itself and its drivers.

As I understand the problem last summer with MacBook Air not working properly, Apple made a fix to solve the problem.

What do you guys think I should do? Return the machine and get a new one?

Best,

K

Feb 22, 2014 4:00 AM in response to kyrresu

What do you guys think I should do? Return the machine and get a new one?

Absolutely. Apple is always in denial mode when it comes to Photoshop problems. If the machine won't work with PS CC, keep returning it until you get one that will.

There are a lot of PS CC/OS X problems that Apple refuses to acknowledge. One of my friends is a PS engineer and it drives him crazy.

Clinton

May 16, 2014 6:40 PM in response to kyrresu

Hey guys.

I'm a professional photogrpaher running on a MBP 13" Retina i7 with 16GB of RAM and had the same flickering / black box tooltip issue. I had some success by going into PS CC's PREFERENCES-PERFORMANCE-graphic processor settings-ADVANCE SETTINGS and changing it from ADVANCED to BASIC.

Don't forget to retart PS after that and the black boxes should stop. At least they have for me... so far. Obviously this isn't the ideal fix but it should keep you from going inanse until APPLE chimes in with a real solution. Good luck.

Aug 20, 2015 7:57 PM in response to kenntam

This tip really works! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!! I am using a rMBP and every time I was zoomed in as close as I could showing only small pixels my erasers strokes would end up having a black square appear over it every time I would erase. I went to performance in settings and changed it from Advanced to Basic and the problem was solved!!

Thank you so much again!

- Dylan

black flickering boxes in Photoshop CC on rMBP 13" (late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.