Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad keeps turning on and off, flashing apple logo and home screen.

I baby the crap out of my Ipad. Used it the night before and woke up to it turning on and off. Flashing between a black screen, apple logo and my home screen (like a cycle over and over). Can't turn it off, Can't hard reset. Can't restore with Itunes because you can't turn off the find my phone in the settings. Can't do a previous back up, cause again I can't turn off the find my phone feature. It has the lastest update 7.0.6. Besides smashing it to a million pieces, what can I do? I'am trying to let the battery run out and see if it helps. But I could really use someones in put.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, Operating system not listed 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 9:04 AM

I just got a system update and now my ipad is turning on and off and showing the apple sign and not going anywhere.

Help please!!!!

19 replies

Jul 17, 2017 7:38 PM in response to fryerkristine

Screen turns on then off continually.. I did all the various on off methods and finally getting instructions to upgrade when attached to my MacBook Pro. Since during an upgrade months ago this all started. Now after it was supposed to be upgraded it returned to the on and off again Problem. HELP😬so I purchased another ipad Pro, but I still want my regular iPad to work.

Nov 12, 2015 8:29 AM in response to fryerkristine

I too had blinking Apple Logo. I had it charging and hooked up to my windows 10 machine. Machine did not recognize Ipad 2. I put it in another usb port and nothing. Searched more on net and nothing on blinking APPLE LOGO. Changed cord connected to Ipad and computer and nothing. Then took Ipad to a wall charger and there you go! APPLE IPAD 2 BACK IN BUSINESS. SO CHECK YOUR POWER SUPPLY!

Feb 21, 2014 6:29 PM in response to fryerkristine

I fully realize that a lot of what I'm saying you have already done but I just want to be sure. I fully expect that ytou will quickly end up at the last paragraph.

First try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore, go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, if you have IOS-7, read this.

Nov 27, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Vballen

I Believe a lot of the problems occur, because the apps are not ready for ios8.

Had a battery monitor app, which caused Ipad to loop into reset on/off. App fixed now, but what a nuisance, caused me grief.

I think Apple have to have some sort of BIG visual indication in app store, that each app has only being tested to a specific software level.

Ever tried getting money back for app that does not work for your Ios. Developer promise to fix and guess what, yea never happens.

May 26, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Hi

Just wanted to say a huge thank you. This exact problem started with my ipad 2 yesterday, just as we walked into the house from our holiday!!! I tried a reset several times but it didnt help at all. I read several other similar threads most of which suggested a visit to a genius, but that would take a long trip and a whole day, so not the easiest. Then I found your instructions for a restore which I tried, first time it didnt make any difference and actually never got to the restore part of the process. My second attempt seems to have worked, although I lost a few photos and had to rearrange a load of apps, all seems to be back to working normally.

Many thanks

Oct 13, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I have had to do the restore twice now. I still had this morning where the black screen was on. Had to do a hard reset to get the lock screen to return on my iPad. I am using system 8.02. I still get random restarts. It seams to be better when I turn off the iCloud syncing. I also turned off location services, and just this morning I turned off any application auto updating. Sure wish I could find the root cause of this. I am a volleyball coach and the for the last restore I lost four matches of stats from Saturday. I might be able to rebuild manually but that will take hours. I will have to do it to get season stats back. ugh. You have the best response of any I have seen so far.

Nov 21, 2014 7:16 PM in response to fryerkristine

II'm so glad this post exists! I've had my 4th generation iPad for 2 years now with no problems until last week. So I called Apple support, talked to a senior advisor and was able to get my iPad replaced. I've only had my iPad since Monday of this week (the 17th I think is the date) because they had to order it since they didn't have one in the store. So I've only been on my NEW iPad twice and tonight as I'm looking up restaurants in my area for my birthday dinner tomorrow, it shuts off and shows the apple logo. Thinking it's doing that stupid restart thing, I let it go but then it flashes and shuts off again. Tries to start up again and flashes again. It does this 10 times BEFORE my home screen comes up and it's shaking and all weird looking. Then shuts off again. So I started video taping it after this. This went on for 5 minutes before I stopped the video and my iPad even gave me the blue screen of death. Is that normal for macs? I thought that was only a windows thing!!! Needless to say I'm ****** beyond belief. Seriously thinking about switching to that new windows tablet. I have an appt tomorrow at my local store so they better be able to replace it or fix it as this is the 2nd one!!!! And if everyone else is having this problem, I'm not sure if I want to continue with it. Totally *****.

Feb 21, 2014 6:32 PM in response to fryerkristine

You did try this? Just want to be sure.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

You could try erasing it in iCloud.com. If you can erase it successfully, you should be able to activate it all over again.

Jun 2, 2014 3:05 PM in response to fryerkristine

My iPad keeps turning on and off. Flashing between a black screen, apple logo and my home screen none stop. Can't turn it off or reset it. Can't do a previous back up, cause again I can't turn off the find my phone feature. what can I do? I'am trying to let the battery run out and see if it helps. I haven't plugged it to charge since last night, so it hasn't been charging all day today, just plugged it on and it's still doing the same thing after 15 hours. Please help

Oct 27, 2014 9:29 AM in response to edones

I ended up taking my ipad to an apple authorized repair outlet. I knew the tech and he did a hardware check, all was good. Then he did a restore using one of their computers. The iPad worked fine in the store. I went home and used a backup from a past version and all is fine now. I did lose about a weeks worth of data because I don't normally back up to my PC. My my experience, your mileage may vary.

Ipad keeps turning on and off, flashing apple logo and home screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.