Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Windows 8.1 BootCamp drivers on old MacBook (Late 2008)

Here is how I installed BootCamp drivers for 8.1 on my old MakBook (Late 2008):

1. Download Boot Camp 4.0.4033 (Drivers for old MacBook is in this version)
  2. Install Windows 7, then WIndows 8.1 (There are other threads on how to do that).
  3. After Windows 8.1 installed, try to install Boot Camp 4.0.4033 again !!! (Reason: Only this version has the drivers for old Mac like mine)
    • Download and install InstEd on Windows 8: http://www.instedit.com/download.html. You need this to modify the BootCamp 4 MSI installer to allow you to run it
    • Run InstEd, click File > Open, browse to your <BootCamp_4.0.4033>\
      BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
      folder and choose
      BootCamp64.msi
    • Click LaunchCondition on the left-hand list.
    • Select all the rows then right click Delete Rows. (Take a look, you will find thses are the messages you saw when you could not run the installer)
    • Save the file with a new name (I used bootcamp4.msi) and quit InstEd.
    • Now, you can install the BootCamp 4 drivers on your Mac, by click the Setup.exe (Yes, this will also instll TrackPad driver for old Mac)
  4. The BootCamp 4 service application itself is not compatible with Windows 8.1, (not the drivers). So just download BootCamp 5.1.5621, and install it (Tip: InstEd).
  5. After restart, click the BootCamp icon in the system tray. Set up TrackPad, Keyboad, etc. (How is this possible? Because the drivers were installed by BootCamp 4.0.4033.)
  6. Unstall InstEd, if you want.

Enjoy!

MacBook Due 2.4, Black, Late 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 8:20 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2014 7:42 AM in response to zwzhang

Thanks. I used the following method:

1. Installed Windows 8.1 (No need for Win 7 before)

2. Did InstEd magic on BootCamp 4.0.4033 and BootCamp 5. Two restarts after I have a perfectly well functioning machine. (perhaps just BC 5 would work alone. Don't know)

This is by far the most elegant and fast way to install the drivers. Thanks!

P.S. I used it on MacBook 7.1 (2010 13")

Mar 2, 2015 2:34 AM in response to zwzhang

And I used this method:

1. Install Windows 8.1

2. Download BootCamp 5 and unzip to folder BootCamp5 of a USB drive

3. Start CMD as Administrator

4. Install BootCamp 5 by entering the following commands

• D: (Assuming the USB drive is assigned to letter D
  • CD BootCamp5\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
  • BootCamp.msi

No need for InstEd might be considered by some as even more elegant as bezodziu's method

Install Windows 8.1 BootCamp drivers on old MacBook (Late 2008)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.