Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with playing and syncing

I connected my old iPod Shuffle (2nd generation) containing 125 songs with my new Windows 7 computer via USB. iTunes recognized the iPod. However, I couldn't listen to any of the songs on the computer. Even the sync function didn't appear.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 11:15 PM

8 replies

Feb 23, 2014 4:29 AM in response to Stella Chang

My Ipod was full of songs from everywhere. My PC recognized the ipod but I couldn't play them. being that it was an old version of the shuffle ( generation #2) I had to update my itunes to the most up to date version. I tried to download the updated version but my pc kept telling me that there was not enough space. There was actually plenty of space. So I went into Control Panel, programs and tried to delete ALL Apple and I tunes software. The computer would not allow me to do so. MicroSoft Fixit allowed me to remove ALL Apple software, including Bonjour. I then reinstalled i Tunes from the Apple website and evrything works now.

Feb 27, 2014 3:07 PM in response to Stella Chang

It's not a problem with the iTunes version, or even an actual problem (as in a "bug"). It sounds like it is working as designed. The 2nd (and 1st) gen shuffles can only be associated with one iTunes library at a time. Since you are connecting your shuffle to a new computer, it has a different iTunes library from the one the shuffle is currently set up to sync with.

What you need to do is have iTunes on the new computer sync your shuffle from its iTunes library. This will replace the shuffle's existing content. Whatever is on the shuffle now that is not in the new iTunes library will be lost.

If you still have access to your old computer, ideally, you should transfer your complete iTunes library from that computer to your new one. Then, the shuffle will treat the iTunes library on the new computer like the old one. Or, if you have a backup of the old iTunes library, add those songs to your new iTunes library.

If that is not possible and your only copy of the song files is on that shuffle, you'll need to off-load the song files from the shuffle. You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files from the shuffle are on your computer's drive, add them to your new iTunes library. Then, you can sync the shuffle from that iTunes library, as desired.

Problems with playing and syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.