Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Apps store on mac pro my apple id is showing as someone else and I cannot remove the name to re input my actual apple id even after signing out - it is set as default or something and yet I am the only user of the mac?

<Email Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 5:13 AM

11 replies

Feb 22, 2014 5:47 AM in response to RBDesign80

The someone you let use your Mac, Friend or Girl friend, logged into the Mac App Store with there Apple ID.

You have to Sign out of that Apple ID by going to the Account link. But to do that you have to actuall know the password for the Apple ID that is now signed in.

The only other options I know of is to either contact Apple about it or erase the drive and reinstall OS X and associate that Mac with your Apple ID.

Feb 22, 2014 7:08 AM in response to RBDesign80

You installed a hacked app, originally from the Mac App Store. It contains the receipt for a different app, downloaded using an account that you don't control. You need to identify and remove the hacked app.

Important: The app you need to remove is not necessarily the one named in the App Store alert. For example, the App Store may prompt you to update "Angry Birds" or "Twitter," but the hacked app may be something else entirely. Don't make any assumptions about which app you're looking for. To find it, you must carry out a systematic search with Spotlight.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

2. In the Finder, press command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu of search criteria, initially showing Kind. From that menu, select

Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select

Raw Query

as the criterion, then click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of the menu of search criteria. That's where you enter the raw search query. Click in that box and paste the text you copied earlier by pressing command-V.

4. The search window will now show all the App Store products that are installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any apps were download from the App Store using other Apple ID accounts that you control, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

At least one of the apps in the Spotlight search results is not among your purchases in the App Store. Move each such item to the Trash, after quitting it if it's running. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Empty the Trash.

Quit and relaunch the App Store. Test.

If you find these instructions confusing, ask for an alternative method.

Feb 22, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

This was very useful. I followed the instructions you gave and it appears to have worked, but, i cannot check until another update is needed. It appears to have been from a version of PDF squeezer as there were 2 shown. How did I manage to download a hacked app from the apps store?

Many thanks

Will update to solved by you hopefully soon!

Richard.

In Apps store on mac pro my apple id is showing as someone else and I cannot remove the name to re input my actual apple id even after signing out - it is set as default or something and yet I am the only user of the mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.