Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMessage won't activate?

My iPhone 4 recently won't sign into my iMessage. I tried signing on using data and wifi but neither work, saying its a network connection error. My iPod touch iMessage works but not my phone.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 8:52 AM

Hello NiaWallace,

It sounds like you are unable to activate iMessage on your phone, but your iPad works fine. I recommend the steps from the article named:

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

If you see "Could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again" when signing in to your Apple ID

To resolve this issue, follow these steps.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you have a data connection by going to www.apple.com in Safari. You can complete Apple ID activation using Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection. If you need help connecting to Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
  3. If you're using Wi-Fi, make sure that your local Wi-Fi network is using the recommended Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Sign in to your account and ensure that the primary email address and alternate e-mail addresses have been verified. If verification is pending, follow the instructions in the email Apple sent to that email address to complete verification. Or remove the e-mail addresses from the account.
  5. If your Apple ID isn't an email address, you can change it. The Apple ID that you're using to activate FaceTime or iMessage must be an email address. Find more information on how to change your Apple ID.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that your iPhone is set to the correct time zone. If Set Automatically is on but the wrong time zone appears, turn Set Automatically off and choose the correct time zone, date, and time.
  7. Enable iMessage and FaceTime while connected to a different Wi-Fi network (in a different location) if a cellular data connection is not available.

You can see that you've activated FaceTime and iMessage with your Apple ID by following these steps.

• Tap Settings > FaceTime > You can be reached by FaceTime at:
  • Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You can be reached by iMessage at:

User uploaded file

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2014 8:52 AM in response to NiaWallace

Hello NiaWallace,

It sounds like you are unable to activate iMessage on your phone, but your iPad works fine. I recommend the steps from the article named:

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

If you see "Could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again" when signing in to your Apple ID

To resolve this issue, follow these steps.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you have a data connection by going to www.apple.com in Safari. You can complete Apple ID activation using Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection. If you need help connecting to Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
  3. If you're using Wi-Fi, make sure that your local Wi-Fi network is using the recommended Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Sign in to your account and ensure that the primary email address and alternate e-mail addresses have been verified. If verification is pending, follow the instructions in the email Apple sent to that email address to complete verification. Or remove the e-mail addresses from the account.
  5. If your Apple ID isn't an email address, you can change it. The Apple ID that you're using to activate FaceTime or iMessage must be an email address. Find more information on how to change your Apple ID.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that your iPhone is set to the correct time zone. If Set Automatically is on but the wrong time zone appears, turn Set Automatically off and choose the correct time zone, date, and time.
  7. Enable iMessage and FaceTime while connected to a different Wi-Fi network (in a different location) if a cellular data connection is not available.

You can see that you've activated FaceTime and iMessage with your Apple ID by following these steps.

• Tap Settings > FaceTime > You can be reached by FaceTime at:
  • Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You can be reached by iMessage at:

User uploaded file

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Jun 29, 2014 4:51 PM in response to sterling r

Hey,

i am having a similar problem to NiaWallace. I have reset my iPhone, and my iMessage wont activate. I have my cellular data on, my wifi is working, everything is fine. I try to turn on iMessage, and it only works with my two emails. i use the emails for my iPads iMessage, and i do not want the same send/receive for my iPhone and iPad. i want to use my number for iMessage on my phone, but when i try to tap the number as a send/receive option, its grayed out and not an option. This is really frustrating me, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My iMessage won't activate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.