Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 dropped in toilet. When I attempt to turn it on grey screen?

Dropped my iPhone 5 in toilet yesterday. Immediately took it out of the toilet and dried it with a towel, my phone was working fine. I walked away for two minutes, came back and the phone had shut itself off. I attempted to turn it on again, it turned on to the normal apple startup page, then dimmed to a grey and NAND error codes began lining my screen. I shut it off and put in in rice for 24hrs. This morning I woke up, turned it on and again the grey screen appeared. I read some things saying it was the hardware and to plug it into my computer and try to restore it. I plugged it into my computer and the phone started up as it normally would when getting turned on, the touch screen was quite unresponsive but it still functioned. I unplugged the phone to see if it would continue to work and it shut off immediately. Now again when I try to turn it on it goes to the grey screen again. I have since put it back in rice, what else should I do?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 8:38 AM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Apple147

Apple147 wrote:

When making an appt at the apple store, should I tell them about dropping it in water or just say it stopped working? I have opened up the phone and none of the liquid activators have been activated

wjosten wrote:

Just give the genius bar your phone, tell them you dropped it in the toilet...they are trained to look for water damage. They'll give you a refurbished unit, once you give them your phone & US $269.

Unless the OP mispoke, wjosten, then they won't be getting a replacement for $269.

OP, if you've opened up the device, you've voided your warranty and out-of-warranty options.

iPhone 5 dropped in toilet. When I attempt to turn it on grey screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.