1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 12:21 PM by andyBall_uk
tbruskin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am not terribly savvy with hardware, so bear with me....

I recently had my computer repaired after recurring problems with audio and internet access. Since the repairs, it makes a very loud mechanical, whirring sound that is so distracting it almost makes me not want to use the computer. It also freezes frequently to the point that I often have no choice but to reboot, and after about an hour of use starts to lag doing even basic tasks like opening Finder. Every web browser freezes and crashes repeatedly. Is this standard for a computer of this age (I got it in 2007), or are these problems fixable? I have had very little success with the local Apple store and do not want to take it back to the place that just did the motherboard (because they gave it back to me making this horrible noise). Please help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • andyBall_uk Level 7 Level 7 (20,495 points)

>>Is this standard for a computer of this age

Definitely not.

>>are these problems fixable?

Assuming no hardware problems : yes.

>> do not want to take it back to the place that just did the motherboard (because they gave it back to me making this horrible noise).

Nonetheless, that is what I would do. Ask them to explain why it does this now, and didn't before they repaired it. If they say that it's a software problem, have them show you exactly why they think that.

The Apple store may well be able to do the same, and at the very least tell you if the noise is 'just' loud fans, and if so, if the cause is a 'busy' computer due to running software, or because a sensor wasn't reconnected and the system thinks it's getting really hot.