Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from Time Machine on Macbook Air

I am ocnsidering buying a second hand MacBook Air. It has a single Admin account.

I am planning to use my main machine Time Machine archive to set the MacBook Air up. With the old DVD-based OSX, one put the master DVD to force the option to restore from Time Machine. MacBook Air, of course, doesn't come with a master DVD so how do I access the menu to restore from Time Machine?

I forgot to look on the MacBook Air to see which version of OSX it was running.

And as a supplementary question for a bonus 10 points... :-)

The same shop is also selling a MacBook Pro. Again, it has a single Admin login and I forgot to chech which OSX it was running. However, I think it has a DVD dirive and I was told the shop does not have the master DVD. How can I access the menu to restore from Time Machine on this computer?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Andrew

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 9:06 AM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Eric Root

Dear Eric,

Thank you for responding to my question.

The helpfile was helpful. The only query I have is that my plan is to use the backup to set up the Macbook Air and then return the backup drive to the original Mac. 'Inherit' sounds like the backup drive will be transfered to the new Macbook - which is not quite what I was planning.

I now have the OSX versions.

The Macbook Air has 10.9 while the MacBook Prol is on 10.7.5 (and doesn't come with boot discs).

I hope this information will enable you to give a more detailed response.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Restoring from Time Machine on Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.