Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't unlock tracks, or copy and paste?

Once I lock a track, and then save the project, I can no longer unlock the track and it is set in stone forever. I click on the track lock button and nothing happens—it stays locked, no matter what I do. The problem persists even when I quit and reopen Garageband, switch to a different project and then back, or even clear my cache and restart my computer. The only time I am able to unlock a track is if I have just locked the track for the first time and haven't saved the project yet. This has been extremely frustrating and has led to the complete failure of many of my current projects. Additionally, I can't copy and paste track regions like I used to be able to in older versions of Garageband. The region is "Copied" successfully, and Paste is not grayed out, but when I click paste, the timeline simply moves one "div" to the right and nothing is pasted, no matter what track it's from, or what length the region is. Why can't I unlock tracks, or copy and paste regions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 9:48 AM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2014 12:14 PM in response to léonie

I am also using GarageBand 10.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.9.1. It consistently happens in every project, not just my current one. And yes, the problem also happens when I create a new user account and use GarageBand there. It is completely confusing me because I can't find any other examples of this happening anywhere on the internet, it seems like I'm the only one. How can I fix this??

Feb 22, 2014 11:14 PM in response to liquidnonsense

If you are seeing the same problem, when working from a different user account, it looks like a system wide problem.

Do you remember, when you first noticed this issue? Did you install other software at that time? Or update software? It may be a problem of incompatible software installed, or your GarageBand installation has become corrupted.

Try to reinstall GarageBand. Delete the application from the Applications folder and download it again from the AppStore.

If reinstalling GarageBand does not help, try reinstalling the system.

Feb 25, 2014 1:50 PM in response to léonie

Hello leonie, liquidnonsense, sorry to butt in, but I'm having the same problem, on a couple of my projects, just a couple, not all of them. I only mention this as additional information, and as a matter of record. I'd be interested to see if there is a resolution for this issue. At present, I can't find a workaround.

Ontradio :-)

Can't unlock tracks, or copy and paste?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.