Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Data File

I just set up my Time Capsule, thought I did a back up with Time Machine, but now when I click on the Device in Finder, I get nothing... blank screen. Data file folder is gone and I don't see a back up. Did I do something wrong? I can't find any help on this happening. I'm running the latest software. Thanks for any help possible.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 10:47 AM

11 replies

Feb 22, 2014 11:18 AM in response to Riprornfun

What happens when you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon on the dock and wait a few minutes for everything to load?

Over to the right, you will see a timeline with the present time and time of the last backup, if the backup went normally.

Click on the time of the last backup, then use the Finder like interface to browse around a bit to make sure that Documents, Applications, etc are backed up.

Click Cancel at the lower left of the window to close Time Machine and come back to the present time on your Mac.

Feb 22, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, looks like the back ups worked okay.

So what happened to my Data File Folder then? Wouldn't I need that to set up File Share folders in the time capsule? I watched some youtube vids and they all showed the back up in the Finder/Time Capsule, and then were able to add folders and such.

I don't even have a folder when I click on the device. Am I missing something?

Feb 22, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Riprornfun

Assuming that you have closed Time Machine and your Mac is running normally now......

Open Macintosh HD and look for the Time Capsule icon under the SHARED heading on the left side of the window

Click on the Time Capsule icon and folder named Data will appear to the right

Double click on Data to mount the drive on the desktop

You should see a sparsebundle file there with the name of your Mac. That file contains all of your backups. Leave it alone. Do not attempt to open or make any changes to that file.

If you want to add a folder for normal documents, click the gear icon above the window and click New Folder. Name the folder. You can have as many folders as you want and drag/drop or copy paste files into the folders.

Not sure how you plan to back up these other files, but you may have that covered.

Feb 22, 2014 12:35 PM in response to Riprornfun

It is something in Finder Preferences, but so far, I cannot find a setting that duplicates the blank window.

What happens if you click the gear icon at the top of the window? Are there options there to Add New Folder.

Also clicking on the gear icon, if you have an option to Show View Options, post a screen shot of the window that appears.

Feb 22, 2014 9:23 PM in response to Riprornfun

Reset the TC to factory and start over.

Name must be short.. not like you have now..

eg TCgenx (I like to put the right gen eg 4 or 5)

Make sure wireless also is short and simple name.

TCwifi

Then mount the disk manually..

In finder use Go, connect to server.

Type

AFP://TCname.local ( TCname replace with actual name.. local replace with actual domain. but it is local by default. )

Mavericks works like in Bob's case half the time and half the time fails like in yours.

I have been playing with mavericks a bit now.. some computers work and some fail.. no rhyme or reason to it.. about half fail. Not very impressive because it is all the same network.

BTW make sure IPv6 is set to link-local .. that can matter.. or not.

Feb 23, 2014 4:21 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks so much! Resetting made the files show up, YAY! Then guess what happened... I edited the TC in Utility to Share disks over WAN and it disappeared again. Strange. It did show up again after poking around in utility, unclicking the Share disk, and then updating again.

Now, it's not recognizing the server. Nothing is in my IPv6 box. it's just blank, no drop downs or anything.

Sorry, I'm not an IT person at all... just a mom, lol. Thanks for all the help you've provided this far!

Feb 23, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Riprornfun

Sorry, I'm not an IT person at all... just a mom, lol.

Never say IT.. "just a mom".. you have the greatest role in the world in the life of your children. Never forget IT.

Reset again.. sorry I know this is a painful process to go through but sometimes it is the only way to get things to work.

Universal Factory Reset.. any model TC or AE.

Unplug your TC/AE from power or turn off at the power point.

Hold in reset. and power the TC/AE back on.. all without releasing reset and keep holding in for about 10sec. (this is often difficult without a 2nd person or a 3rd arm).

Release it when the status light flashes rapidly. If it doesn’t flash rapidly you have missed it and try again.

Note..

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC/AE will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations of the router.

No files are deleted on the hard disk in a TC.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

Do the setup again.. observing the naming I said.

Ensure on the TC your IPv6 is set to link-local. This is the Internet tab and the setting is under internet options.

User uploaded file

Then on the computer.. open the Network Preferences Go to the wireless and advanced and then TCP/IP

User uploaded file

You should do the same with ethernet if you use that as well.

Then try the manual mounting of the disk again.

Tell us if you continue to have issues.. but we will need some more info.. and get you to post some screenshots of the setup.

Time Capsule Data File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.