Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up iPad Air transferring data from iPad3 to Air

I just ordered a new iPad Air 128GB with WiFi and Verizon. I have to turn the iPad 3 into Best Buy when it arrives as they gave me a good credit for my current 64GB wifi/verizon ipad3.

Is there easy to transfer all my apps, photos , music, movies and cellular ID stuff from my current iPad to the new iPad Air in the store next week or should I have the Geek Squad do it?

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, IPad Air 128GB Wi-Fi and Verizon

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 11:50 AM

Are you using iCloud or iTunes for backups? Do you even create backups or sync your iPad? If you don't backup, you will want to do so before you get rid of the old iPad.

Take a look at this. It covers using iTunes or iCloud for transferring your data from one device to another one.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

7 replies

Feb 22, 2014 11:59 AM in response to bubblegun

Most importantly, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW this ID and it's password.

Best bet is to back up to your computer. Then restore from that backup.

Just to be safe, with your current iPad connected, scroll down to the bottom of the Apps tab, and copy over any files associated with the apps.

User uploaded file

If you use the same Apple ID, anything backed up to iCloud will reappear (your contacts, mail, messages etc)

You'll still need to reset certain settings, and resync in via iTunes to restore stuff you didn't buy from Apple. (this is true even if you have the Geek squad do it)

There are third party apps which do a more complete job of getting this stuff off your iPad, but if they already exist on your computer there isn't too much point.

Feb 22, 2014 1:29 PM in response to bubblegun

Too much with different emails and passwords with Apple. think I will just wipe this ipad clean. I have my photos saved on my MacBook Pro.

I won't use the iPad Air for music or movies anymore due to the ID hassle Apple presents.

I can stream movies to my Samsung Smart a TV with NetFlix and Amazon. At least they are easier to deal with.

Feb 22, 2014 3:23 PM in response to bubblegun

Don't sweat it*, IF set up properly, these 2 IDs (the one from your ISP and the one ending in iCloud are linked.)

But to be Safe:

A) First, check your current iPad if iCloud lists the account with the @iCloud.com, Set up your iCloud Account on the new iPad using that.

Then, after you've gone through initial settings:

B) Open iTunes, look under "Store" menu to determine you "Store ID", it'll read "View account (whoever@comcast .com)" or something else.

ALTERNATELY on your old iPad select Settings>iTunes and App Store (your store ID is at the top)

either way, enter this one under Settings > iTunes and App Store" on your new iPad

That's it.

*no matter where you buy your music, they all link to an email address (which can be an issue, if you ever start getting spammed.) I'm so paranoid I burn all my music as an audio CDs, so there's just no way to loose it completely due to DRM issues.

Good Luck. I'm very jealous, just can't rationalize buying the Air, since I just got an iPad 4 last year.

Feb 22, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Alix Leigh

Thanks I will try tomorrow when my blod pressure subsides :-)

I needed the 128GB. I think the memory is almost maxed out. Safari kept crashing. I like the faster processor, lighter weight and hopefully, longer battery life. It may help with that new game coming out soon World of Tanks Blitz. The updated Xfinity App really rocks and maintaining the Verizon capability help as I travel a bit an WiFi is not everywhere yet. Visuals may be improved too.

Best Buy gave me a better trade in credit than Apple Store offered. You may want to upgrade now.

Want to bet a newer iPad will be introduced later this year? :-)

Set up iPad Air transferring data from iPad3 to Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.