Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password Request Popup

I keep getting a password request for applications to use the "local Items" keychain. I have never used or set up keychain so I have no idea what the password might be. Also, whenever I try to cancel the request another pops up asking for a keychain password for another application. Some of the applications for example are: messages, calendar agent, dashboard, and others. Does anyone know how I can disable these requests? I have already tried restarting the computer with no luck. Also, my dashboard isn't working and many of my applications are freezing and lagging. I am currently running OSX 10.9.1. If anyone knows what might be causing all these problems your input would be much appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 8:28 PM

There are several possible causes for this issue. Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried, testing after each one, until it's resolved. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Follow the directions in this support article.

Step 2

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the iCloud keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain.

Step 3

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

Step 4

Open the Keychains folder as in Step 1. There should be a file in that folder with the name "login.keychain". If there is also a file iwith the name "login_renamed_1.keychain", then please do as follows:

• Rename login.keychain to "login-old.keychain".
  • Rename login_renamed_1.keychain to "login.keychain".

You can then close the folder.

Delete the login keychain from the keychain list in Keychain Access. Choose Delete References when prompted, not Delete References & Files.

Select

File Add Keychain...

from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file now named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for each item transferred.

Run Keychain First Aid again. Quit Keychain Access.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2014 8:28 PM in response to TheOutdoorsMan

There are several possible causes for this issue. Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried, testing after each one, until it's resolved. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Follow the directions in this support article.

Step 2

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the iCloud keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain.

Step 3

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

Step 4

Open the Keychains folder as in Step 1. There should be a file in that folder with the name "login.keychain". If there is also a file iwith the name "login_renamed_1.keychain", then please do as follows:

• Rename login.keychain to "login-old.keychain".
  • Rename login_renamed_1.keychain to "login.keychain".

You can then close the folder.

Delete the login keychain from the keychain list in Keychain Access. Choose Delete References when prompted, not Delete References & Files.

Select

File Add Keychain...

from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file now named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for each item transferred.

Run Keychain First Aid again. Quit Keychain Access.

Aug 27, 2014 8:49 AM in response to TheOutdoorsMan

I talked to Apple Technical Support last night about it. What caused mine to start popping up was that I changed my settings and created a login password for my computer. It must not have been the same password as my keychain password so keychain password popups started. Technical support had me reset keychain with the login required for my computer and now I don't have popups anymore.

If you have AppleCare on your computer that is current, you can call technical support with any issues and they'll gladly walk you through your Mac troubles.

Keychain Password Request Popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.