Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Remote won't pair with my new 27" iMac

So a few days ago, I bought a new 27" iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, that is running OS X 10.9.1 from my local Apple Store in the Roseville Galleria.

Today, I went back to the Apple Store, and purchased the Apple remote, telling them it was for my iMac. When I got home, I opened the packaging & followed the instructions (it tells you to hold it super close to & aim it at the infared receiver and press & hold "Right' & "Menu" on the remote for about 6 seconds, and a chainlink image will show on the screen), but nothing happened & the remote would not do anything on the computer.

I looked up troubleshooting with screenshots and even videos online, and it gives instructions on how to go through System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General>Advanced and to click where it says "Disable Remote Control Infared Receiver" and it even shows a "Pair" button next to it, but those 2 things are missing from my advanced page under Security & Privacy...

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

P.S. Is the infared receiver the little black apple symbol on the bottom of the front of my iMac?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Apple Remote

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 11:41 PM

New iMacs no longer have a built-in IR receiver to use the Apple Remote. Return it.

The reason for no longer having an IR receiver and remote is Apple did away with the Front Row app when OS X 10.7 Lion and later came out.

If you want to control your new iMac remotely and you own a mobile iDevice, there are remote apps you can use on both your iMac and iDevice.

These apps work over Wifi and/or Bluetooth.

Apple has its own remote app simply called Remote.

Another, which I use and is very comprehensive remote app, is called Rowmote Pro by a developer called Regular & Rhythm.

If you want complete and total remote control access to your Mac, look at Splashtop Remote.

There is also a dedicated WifI and/or Bluetooth remote for Macs and iDevices by a company called Satechi.

Found here.

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaRemote-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-Control/dp/B0082 4948U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391729056&sr=8-1&keywords=Satechi+remote

Good Luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2014 11:41 PM in response to CommicBoy

New iMacs no longer have a built-in IR receiver to use the Apple Remote. Return it.

The reason for no longer having an IR receiver and remote is Apple did away with the Front Row app when OS X 10.7 Lion and later came out.

If you want to control your new iMac remotely and you own a mobile iDevice, there are remote apps you can use on both your iMac and iDevice.

These apps work over Wifi and/or Bluetooth.

Apple has its own remote app simply called Remote.

Another, which I use and is very comprehensive remote app, is called Rowmote Pro by a developer called Regular & Rhythm.

If you want complete and total remote control access to your Mac, look at Splashtop Remote.

There is also a dedicated WifI and/or Bluetooth remote for Macs and iDevices by a company called Satechi.

Found here.

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaRemote-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-Control/dp/B0082 4948U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391729056&sr=8-1&keywords=Satechi+remote

Good Luck!

My Apple Remote won't pair with my new 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.