Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i gift an iBook internationally

I have an Apple US account, I live in South Korea because I"m in the military, I am trying to send a Korean friend a gift from iBooks, she said she got the email to redeem but it wont download? This is frustrating........

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2017 6:52 AM

Apple segregating people... This is so bad on so many levels.
Obviously ibooks gives no warning of this before hand. It just happened to me right now.
Is there any solution to this yet, or does Apple just not care ?

8 replies

Jul 16, 2017 7:26 AM in response to EricWildfire

Apple segregating people

It has nothing to do with Apple, it's the rights-holders/content providers.

All gifts (and gift cards) have always been country-specific, and are likely to remain so. Assuming that a particular book is even available in the recipient's store (and that it's in the correct language there) it could have a different publisher/rights-holder there - before gifting across countries can potentially happen all of the rights-holders would have to agree to it, it's not down to Apple.

Jul 16, 2017 7:47 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for your reply King Penguin.

Please don't take my message personally, it's not. 🙂
In the age of internet though, i think it is very ironical to make online purchases of e-books country specific.
It feels What would you say if you sent a .pdf to a friend by email but your email provider blocked it ? That only happens in countries like China where the internet isn't free and open.
And when i buy material books or ebooks for my e-reader, they travel regardless of publisher/rights-holder where i go. So I believe that is not a real reason... But anyway, that is not the point.

Would you know if there is anyway to get refund on a gift that can't be redeemed ?

I would be grateful for any info about this.

Kind regards.

Feb 23, 2014 7:26 AM in response to ebhorn

You can't, you can only gift content to people whose account is based in the same country as your own

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2736 :

Note: When purchasing an iTunes Gift, a valid credit card must be on file; you can't purchase an iTunes Gift with store credit. You can't redeem purchased gifts outside of the country of purchase. For example, an iTunes Gift purchased in France can't be redeemed in an iTunes Store outside of France.

can i gift an iBook internationally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.