Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find update between iphoto 8.1.2 and iphoto 9.1

MacBook: OS X Version 10.7.5

Iphoto version 8.1.2

I have a iMac with the same operating system but a newer version of iphoto 9.4. My library is on an EHD which I connect to one or the other computer out of convenience. I updated the iMac Iphoto while the Library was connected and now it won't open on the MacBook as it has been synced with a newer version. So i can't open iphoto anymore. That rules out the update while being inside the app. So I tried to download the necessary updates to work my way up to 9.4. but I can't find anything between 8.4 and 9.1 but when I try to install 9.1 it tells me that the version of 9.0 or later is requiered for this update. This is all very complicated.

I would pay $14.99 and just download the new iphoto app but that is not compatible with my operating suystem. Arrrrr.... this is driving me nut. I would love an easy solution. Either updating the operating system or the app. Just anything... Please help. I'm stuck!😕

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 6:42 AM

6 replies

Feb 23, 2014 7:07 AM in response to Norasworld

You cannot update from 8.1.2 to any version of 9.x. That is a paid upgrade.

You have three options:

• Either use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to create a downgraded version of your iPhoto library, (see this link: Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager Help - Downgrading a ... )
  • Or try to buy a boxed retail version of iLife '11. This will include an early version of iPhoto '11 that you can update with the 9.4 installer from Apple's Support page. Afaik, iLIfe '11 installers are still sold at Amazon, or try eBay.
  • Or upgrade your MacBook to Mavericks MacOS X 10.9.1. This upgrade is free. Then you can buy the newest iPhoto version 9.5.1, but you would have the same problem again, since you now would have to upgrade your other Mac as well.

-- Léonie

Added: If you decide to upgrade your operating system, take some precautions, better safe than sorry.

• Update all software to the newest versions and make a full backup of your system.
  • Check all programs that you depend on, if they are compatible with Mavericks,or if there are compatible updates available, e.g. the software fore printer and scanner drivers, your cmeras, etc.

Feb 23, 2014 7:40 AM in response to léonie

Thank you. But what I don't understand is how my other computer having the same OS and everything could upgrade to iphoto 9.4.3 and this one can't. Just makes no sense to me!

I understand if bothe couldn't but one can the other one can't. Both running the same OS. The MacBook actually is the "mommy" of the iMac.

This really is not a quick fix. I didn't think updating some software was that complicated.

I really appreciate your advice and your time. I guess I will do it another day. Thank you Léonie!

Feb 23, 2014 7:47 AM in response to Norasworld

Thank you. But what I don't understand is how my other computer having the same OS and everything could upgrade to iphoto 9.4.3 and this one can't. Just makes no sense to me!

It is a question of time - when did you upgrade your other computers? You can now only buy the latest version of an app, and that requires MacOS 10.9.1., previously you could buy 9.3.x

Have you looked at the "Purchased" tab of the App Atore, if there is iPHoto 9.4 waiting for you, if you bought it on another Mac? Sign into the AppStore on your MacBook with your AppleID and check the Purchased tab.

Feb 23, 2014 11:41 AM in response to Norasworld

It is extremely simple

If you own any version of iPhoto '11 (version 9.x.x) then you can update to the current version of iPhtoo '11 (9.5.1) for free

If you own any version of iPhoto other than iPhoto '11 ( you state that youhave iPhoto '09)

MacBook: OS X Version 10.7.5

Iphoto version 8.1.2

then iPhoto '11 is apurchased upgrade not a free update - it it totlly dependedn on the version of iPhoto that y0ou have - it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the OS version

LN

can't find update between iphoto 8.1.2 and iphoto 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.