Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot set page to 9.2cm x 5.6 cm

I have a pages file (page size 5.6cm x 9.2cm). BUT I not want to set it as portait layout (9.2 x 5.6). Currently its in portrait, BUT whenever I click on the "orientation" to change to landscape it automatically hanges the page size to a4. IF I try to custmize the layout (9.2x5.6) it doesn't accept it. help!!!!

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 6:59 AM

10 replies

Feb 24, 2014 5:36 AM in response to William Holistic Edu

fruhulda : Pages 09, Version 4.1 (923). Macbook Pro, OS X 10.6.8

Peter : Header and Footer is already "unchecked" and margins were set to zero.

Im doing this in "page layout" mode (not word processing mode) But that shouldnt make a difference.

Just to re-iterate I can make it a business card "5.6cm x 9.2cm". I just cannot do it on the side.

I know I can just make it and then rotate everything 90 degrees (which what I will prob do if I cant get this solved... but seriously cant understand why I cant jsut set the page size!)

Im not a pages expert, but ive made A4 and A5 documents (and successfully customised the size and rotation) for printing purposes. (i.e. A4 size + 3mm margin)... so I'm pretty sure im doing it correctly.

Anyway any further assistance is greatly welcome!

Feb 24, 2014 9:29 AM in response to fruhulda

Ok here is a step by step of what I did (sry maybe I should have posted earlier).

Step 1: You can see in this pic, 1) the size is set at 5.6x9.2cm. 2) the rulers on the side of page also verify this. 3) all margins are set to zero. NB: this is the file I used to make business cards, and there was no problem with it.

User uploaded file

Step 2: Create new profile and change measurments

So here you can see I making a new profile if 9.2 x 5.6 now.

User uploaded file

Step 3:

Next I pressed "ok" on the "custom paper sizes" window. this is the result right after that.

As you can see the "Setting " has changed to 9.2 x 5.6.

User uploaded file

Step 4:

I then pressed "OK" on the page setup, and then pages automaticallt changes it back to A4 size. (didnt take pic). I then went to "file>Page setup" and then took the following pic.

User uploaded file

Can someone try this and see if they have the same problem? (the goal is to create a retangular business card with long side on the bottom). Really cannot see what I am doing wrong. Thanks all for the input so far, and thanks in advance!!!

Feb 24, 2014 9:58 AM in response to William Holistic Edu

Okay, that does clarify a few things. But it raises a few other questions.

The first thing is that you haven't mentioned the Margin settings in Pages Document inspector. When using small page sizes, you have to set those to a small enough (zero) value before you choose the custom page size. If Pages doesn't find a "useable" area inside its document margins, it defaults to the standard page size. It shouldn't matter in a page layout document with no headers or footers, but I guess it wants to allow for turning the headers or footers back on.

Secondly, you originally discussed changing the orientation of a 5.6 x 9.2 page from portrait to landscape, which is what I was trying. Your screenshots, though, show you creating a new page size that is 9.2 X 5.6, and is therefore, horizontal in portrait orientation. That shouldn't matter at this stage, though; it only makes a difference

when you feed the paper into the printer.

Feb 24, 2014 4:16 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Jeff: yep, sry about that. Actually I tried both ways (i.e. re-set the size AND tried to change the orientation and both gave me same result).

Peter: Know why I misunderstood you. By default (when I open a new document) the "Header and footer" is already "uncheked" (so i assumed that there is no need to edit).

User uploaded file

But apparently what I have to do is go and "check" them, change them to zero, then uncheck it. And the same for the "left right" margins. I think the KEY point is that : "check" does NOT mean "Apply this" rather "unlock this field I can edit it".

Reason I could not "rotate" my origial file (which was in correct size) was becuse I didnt change the "top" and "bottom" margins. Once I reset to zero it let me rotate propoerly.

OK finally got it to work. Still not "exacty" sure why tho mainly coz :

1. i can open a new document (defaulted at a4 size)

Thanks everyone again for your input and help. Cheers!!!

Cannot set page to 9.2cm x 5.6 cm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.