Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule often offline

HI,

i have a time capsule of some years ago, 1TB.

Ultimately it often goes offline (orange blinking light).

It never did before the last firmware update (that i don't do.. i think it gone in automatically.)

version is 7.6.4

thank you

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 11:16 AM

You probably answered yes, to some pop up box and didn't see what it was.

Downgrade back to 7.6.1 firmware.. Indeed if the TC is very old, ie a Gen1 or Gen2 go back to 7.5.2

It is easy to do.. hold down the option key whilst you select the version of the current firmware.

Select the firmware you want.. it will proceed.

User uploaded file

You can then stop it annoying you for requests to upgrade every other day. Go to the Preference in the top menu, and uncheck anything to do with checking for updates.

User uploaded file

NOTE.. an old TC can also be hardware faulty.. it is calling out to you.. fix me, replace me, I am dying!!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2014 11:16 AM in response to Manfry

You probably answered yes, to some pop up box and didn't see what it was.

Downgrade back to 7.6.1 firmware.. Indeed if the TC is very old, ie a Gen1 or Gen2 go back to 7.5.2

It is easy to do.. hold down the option key whilst you select the version of the current firmware.

Select the firmware you want.. it will proceed.

User uploaded file

You can then stop it annoying you for requests to upgrade every other day. Go to the Preference in the top menu, and uncheck anything to do with checking for updates.

User uploaded file

NOTE.. an old TC can also be hardware faulty.. it is calling out to you.. fix me, replace me, I am dying!!

Feb 23, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Manfry

Just make a report to apple feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I should also have noted that turning off notification of updates merely reduces their frequency to something like weekly. Basically the only way to avoid updates is never go online.

Just remember to click NO.. NOT at this time.. so it doesn't simply reverse what you have done.

Feb 25, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Manfry

I need the full network info. What is the modem? Make and model.

How is the TC connected and in what mode.. ie router or bridge?

You still did not give a version number of the TC. Please give me the A1xxx (x is number) from the base.

eg. A1355 is the last one with 1TB disk.. that is gen3

A1302 is gen2 and A1254 is gen1

All of these are now out of warranty and if the earlier ones start blinking.. well I would simply say replace it .. it is too old.

Gen 3 can be worth working on a bit.. but from Mavericks it is hard.

Reset to factory.

Universal Factory Reset.. any model TC or AE.

Unplug your TC/AE from power or turn off at the power point.

Hold in reset. and power the TC/AE back on.. all without releasing reset and keep holding in for about 10sec. (this is often difficult without a 2nd person or a 3rd arm).

Release it when the status light flashes rapidly. If it doesn’t flash rapidly you have missed it and try again.

Note..

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC/AE will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations of the router.

No files are deleted on the hard disk in a TC.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

Change the naming.

Give it all short names.. this is most important for Mavericks.

ie TCGen3 as base name.. and use different names for each band.. TC24ghz and TC5ghz.

If it starts to blink amber there is a fault.. please immediately go to the airport utility and find what is the fault being reported.

We need that info to work further.

Feb 27, 2014 3:38 AM in response to LaPastenague

a router connected to internet via opticol fiber.

a gateway.

a time capsule.

TC connected as router, as as bridge didn't connect (i think for the length of the cable..)

Model A1355

I can boot in Mountain Lion.

reset? where is?

short names already on.

as i see amber light i'll try to go immediatly to airport utility to see if it say something :-)

thanks.

Feb 27, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Manfry

Manfry wrote:

a router connected to internet via opticol fiber.

a gateway.

a time capsule.

TC connected as router, as as bridge didn't connect (i think for the length of the cable..)

The TC is definitely in the wrong mode.. which you know.

It is wrong to use it in double NAT as you have now. (I can figure out the errors.. without your translation.. thanks).

Your main router is using 192.168.10.x and you have setup the TC to use 192.168.5.x which will work.. but is poor.

The TC not working in bridge but working in router mode, cannot be due to cable length.

I want you to try again.

The automatic setup of the TC in the airport utility can mess things up.

Simply change over to off bridge mode in the utility.. and apply it.. tell me what happens.

Post more screenshots as there is no reason for it to fail in bridge.

But I would suggest reset to factory and do it again.

BTW do you have IPv6 set to link-local for both your ethernet and wireless in the computer. This is important. eg for wireless.

User uploaded file

time capsule often offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.