Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer CD-burnt music from iPod (3rd Gen) to iTunes on Macbook?

Ok.

So my mother has this question, and I have no way to answer it.

My mother has an iTunes library on her old PC laptop. It's a mix of music purchased through iTunes and burnt CDs. She uses her iPod (I believe 3rd Gen, maybe 2nd) and has transferred the PC library to her iPod. When I plug in the iPod to her Macbook and sync, it erases all the songs burnt from CDs on her iPod and only transfers the music burned from iTunes. She's getting very frustrated.

I've read all the help files, but they only refer to transferring iTunes-purchased music. Another help file said to attach the iPod to the Macbook, open the iPod folder from Finder, and transfer the iTunes folder to the Music folder on the Macbook. Then add it to the Macbook's library. The only issue is the iPod doesnt show up in devices to transfer the folder. It only shows as docked in iTunes.

What am I doing wrong? I want to move all the music from the iPod to her Macbook iTunes library.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:18 AM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2014 2:30 PM in response to milkandgin

Hello milkandgin

You should make sure that Enable disk use is enabled and then you would be using Windows explorer to copy the music over. Form the article you came from, follow the steps in the Copy iTunes folder to iPod. Also check out the second article below and use the external hard drive method to move the music over as an alternative.

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Regards,

-Norm G.

Feb 25, 2014 3:14 PM in response to milkandgin

You need to be careful to use correct terminology.

burnt from CDs on her iPod

You don't "burn" things to an iPod, you sync them.

I am not sure what you mean by "burnt CDs". Do you mean CDs that have been ripped from an audio CD to files on the computer? Burning a CD means putting computer files on a CD.

Since music derived from CDs is involved, you cannot easily use the iPod in this transfer because Apple officially only supports transferring music purchased from Apple from an iPod to a computer, not music from other sources. It is possible to work around this by buying third party software but it is much easier to use the direct transfer methods suggested by norm123.

Transfer CD-burnt music from iPod (3rd Gen) to iTunes on Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.