Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my new Canon LiDE 210 scanner work?

My Mac Mini running Mavericks recognizes that the scanner is connected (by USB cable) but when I click Open.. there is an error message "Failed to open a session on the device". I opened Software Update and there are no updates available. I am very confused about this because the documentation with the scanner says that I should install the software bundled with the product but I have read that OS X handles scanning (and printing) itself. What should I do to get my scanner working? I have tried rebooting the computer to no effect.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:20 AM

11 replies

Feb 23, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Eric Root

No result with either Image Capture, System Preferences Printers & scanners, or with VueScan software. Error message "Failed to open a session with the device". VueScan message "No scanners were found connected to your computer". Tried different USB ports and rebooting the computer. Have tried with and without the Canon driver that came bundled with the scanner. The Canon website confirms that the driver is compatible with OS 10.9. The scanner makes noises when starting the software. The scanner is correctly identified in the list of devices in the System Preferences Printers & scanners dialog so the computer obviously knows that it is connected. It just looks to me like Macs will not work scanners.

May 9, 2014 7:30 AM in response to karlmd

I found I needed to unlock the scanning mechanism located on the bottom surface of the scanner. Once I had done this, I was able to scan successfully in Preview and Image Capture. I discovered this by watching the scanner with the lid open when I plugged the scanner into the USB port. The movement tried to move and then stopped. That made me think the platten was jammed, and then I thought perhaps it was locked when it was shipped.

Jun 14, 2014 4:23 PM in response to nickjnford

It appears Mavericks does not support the LiDE 20 drivers or CanoScan Toolbox -- I had the same problem with my MacBook when I upgraded to Mavericks. The scanner worked great under the previous systems. My problem is that the Mac does not recognize that the scanner is connected. I tried installing a couple versions of some driver software (from Ellert) which some users claim works, but it did nothing for me. But VueScan did work for me. The only problem is that VueScan basic is $40; if you want OCR, the "pro" version is $80. I can get a new LiDE 110 for $50 -- with more features and much higher resolution, and (according to Canon) it's compatible with OSX 10.9. Looks likes it time for a new scanner.

Jul 21, 2014 2:15 AM in response to nickjnford

For some reason my LiDE 210 scanner stopped being recognised. It had worked in Mavericks but in 10.9.4 it wasn't playing ball.

I reinstalled the Canon utilities with no luck. I then went to Printers & Scanners in system preferences, deleted the CanoScan LiDE 210 (click on the - sign) and then re-added it. Then I set "scan button" to "Open Image Capture". And bizarrely, although I had disconnected and reconnected the USB cable at the computer end, I hadn't done so on the scanner end. For some reason, some combination of these caused the scanner to spring back into life and it's now working. Apologies it's not very scientific but it did seem to work. I wonder if it's a USB power issue of some kind. The cable is not damaged, to my knowledge, and I plug directly into my Mac Mini (ie not via a hub or splitter). It's a pain to do this kind of guesswork but it does seem that all is not lost.

Why won't my new Canon LiDE 210 scanner work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.