Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay sound not working

we have iphone 5, ipod, iphone 4. All played music through Airplay to Bose Soundtouch. But now when the Airplay is selected the sound goes off and the Bose doesnt respond. Through the Bose app we can still play music from the computer itunes library, using phones as remote controls. any suggestions please? (we have updated and rebooted)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 11:20 PM

Similar to your experience, suddenly none of our devices' airplay commands were working on my Soundtouch portable speaker but I did get it working, finally....

I noticed the wifi symbol was SOLID AMBER, not white like it had been. The manual indicates the solid amber wifi symbol means the speaker is in "Alternate Setup Mode." (I have no idea how that happened.) I ended up performing a factory reset and it did the trick. I just had to reconnect it to the correct WiFi using the app & USB cord and it now works.

Here's the link to the manual = (http://worldwide.bose.com/library/assets/pdf/guides/soundtouch_portable/en/owg_e n_soundtouch_portable.pdf)

Pg. 16 defines the WiFi indicator colors/flashing

Pg 26 Factory reset

Pg 27 Alternate Setup Mode

Hope that works for you too!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2014 11:20 PM in response to embythesea

Similar to your experience, suddenly none of our devices' airplay commands were working on my Soundtouch portable speaker but I did get it working, finally....

I noticed the wifi symbol was SOLID AMBER, not white like it had been. The manual indicates the solid amber wifi symbol means the speaker is in "Alternate Setup Mode." (I have no idea how that happened.) I ended up performing a factory reset and it did the trick. I just had to reconnect it to the correct WiFi using the app & USB cord and it now works.

Here's the link to the manual = (http://worldwide.bose.com/library/assets/pdf/guides/soundtouch_portable/en/owg_e n_soundtouch_portable.pdf)

Pg. 16 defines the WiFi indicator colors/flashing

Pg 26 Factory reset

Pg 27 Alternate Setup Mode

Hope that works for you too!

Mar 19, 2015 6:40 PM in response to embythesea

I had this issue too, but it wasn't due to being in Alternate Setup Mode -- wifi symbol was solid white, and presets worked fine. It just would not produce sound over Airplay even though iTunes player said it was connected.

A factory reset works but it erases all my presets and takes a really long time: not cool.

BUT I found out that doing a system update fixes it too -- even if the system is up to date -- and all the settings are preserved! As long as your wifi network is connected, just hold down Preset 4 and the Volume Down button for 5 seconds. It takes a minute or two to reboot, and voila.

Airplay sound not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.