Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad4 won't restart/restore

My iPad 4 says it needs to be plugged in to charge although it was plugged in overnight. I plugged it into my MacBook Pro. The apple pops up on the iPad screen and then immediately goes to the little rotating wheel (like it's turning off). iTunes says it cannot sync the iPad bc an internal device error occured. I have tried everything, holding the top button/home button down simultaneously, tried holding down the home button while I plugged it in... Nothing seems to be working. Any solutions? Should I take it to the Apple Store?

iPad

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 9:51 AM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2014 1:03 PM in response to Amanda1986

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for providing the details of the issue you are experiencing with your iPad.

I recommend following steps 2-6 for an issue like this (you can skip any steps you may have already taken):

1. If a single application is not responding or stops responding when it opens, you can force it to close.
  2. If the device is unresponsive or if certain controls aren't working as expected, restart your device.
  3. If the device remains unresponsive or does not turn on (or power on),reset your device.
  4. If there is no video or if the screen remains black, verify that the device has enough charge to turn on:
    1. If you are using an iPad, ensure that it's connected to the USB Power Adapter supplied with the device.
    2. Let charge for at least twenty minutes, then see if it starts normally.
    3. If there is no image on the screen, press the Sleep/Wake button to attempt to wake the device.
    4. If the screen displays a red battery icon, continue charging the device until the battery is fully charged.
  5. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, or the if the screen remains black or shows a persistent Apple logo, try restoring with iTunes:
    1. Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane. Learn more about restoring iOS software.
    3. If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try to force the device into recovery mode, and then restore it.
  6. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact Apple.

You can find the full article here:

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281

If you get to step 5, I recommend backing up your iPad before performing the restore:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Feb 25, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Amanda1986

I had tried to reset, restore, etc. I tried doing everything I could find on the Apple site. It wouldn't do anything for me. It wouldn't charge. It kept popping up the Apple logo then turn off again in a loop. It wouldn't turn on so that I could go to the settings. iTunes wouldn't recognize the device. and when it finally did, it wouldn't let me restore or anything. just kept saying there was an internal error. Took it to the Apple Store. The update for iOS hadn't loaded all the way and so it was just stuck. The girl at the Apple Store fixed it, for free. But it has taken forever for for it to restore from a back up and reload all the apps, etc.

iPad4 won't restart/restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.