Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What will Apple do about a small scratch on my iPhone 5 that I am sending to them

Recently, the lock button on my iPhone 5 (silver and white) has stopped working which is extremely annoying, as I have to use assistive touch. So, I still have a couple months left with the free manufacturer warranty that comes with all devices, so I called up my service provider for my iPhone then I was transferred to apple. I was told that I have to go to an apple store or other stores and I can get my phone check out and have it brought in for repair, but I live in a small city and there is no apple store or anyone of the stores suggested (closest apple store is 2+ hours away drive) so I was told they will send me a replacement iPhone 5, which I'm fine with. They asked if my iPhone has every been dropped or exposed to liquids, which is a no, I've never done that. We sorted out all the information, and very soon I'll have an iPhone 5 sent to me, and when I get that iPhone 5, I send my current one (with unresponsive lock button) back to apple. Seems great right? Well, I was told if there is any liquid or physical damage that $600 will be taken off my visa and so on, and now I'm extremely worried. On the back of my iPhone 5, there is a light scratch that is about 1cm in length. The scratch is very light, but after reading some information, it appears as if apple will not accept my iPhone in those conditions and I will have $600 removed from my visa. I'm freaking out, so, can anyone explain what might happen? And let's say apple does not accept my iPhone 5 in its current state, can I just ask to have my iPhone 5 back and I will send the replacement iphone back to them, and I get my money back and we all be happy??

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 11:28 AM

12 replies

Feb 23, 2014 12:01 PM in response to gaamcc

They can't take money from you without your consent. Apple will always quote first. It's your choice afterwards. Apple Technicians do work from a guide that allows for some minor scratches and blemishes. Depending on the severity of the scratch they may deem it falls within the terms of the warranty and if you're lucky you'll have no charges to pay.

As already mentioned arrange and appointment asap and get it looked at. Then you'll know.

Apr 2, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Amberlynn12

It's completely situational. Without being able to directly compare the "scratch" on the original poster's iPhone with your iPhone, what gaamcc had happen could not be extrapolated to guess what Apple may do in your situation. It will depend entirely on what the Apple technician diagnoses after examining your iPhone. He/she may decide that any damage is strictly cosmetic and didn't have any connection with the problem you're taking your iPhone in for, or he/she may diagnose the problem as stemming from user damage. You'll just have to see when you go to the Apple Store.

Regards.

Apr 2, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Amberlynn12

I Sent in the iPhone after getting the refurbished one, it worked just as good, it has a few light scratches and the screen had a yellow tint to the display, which I have gotten used to. As for the iPhone, Apple accepted it and there was no charge (besides the shipping which was $30) so thank you free 1 year Apple Care!

What will Apple do about a small scratch on my iPhone 5 that I am sending to them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.