Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac is suddenly not starting up. I get a grey screen with a flashing ? Sign. Dnt know wht t do

Hi. My mac is suddenly not starting up. I havent used it fr a wk, prior to which it was working perfectly. Now all i get is a grey screen with a flashing ? Sign. No idea wht to do. Would appreciate any ideas.. Thanku

MacBook Air, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 11:12 AM

3 replies

Feb 23, 2014 12:58 PM in response to Shelly ar

Boot to the recovery partition (Command +R) and use Disk Utility to repair your OS 10.7 or 10.8 or 10.9 partition. Under your information you claim to be running iOS7 - but that won't work on a MBA

When it does start up, you may see a panel asking you to choose your language. Choose your language and press the Return key on your keyboard once. It will then present you with an Installation window. Completely ignore this window and click on Utilities in the top menu and scroll down to Disk Utility and click it. When this application opens you should see your Hard Drive in the list on the left.

Identify it, then click on the Mac OS partition of your hard drive in the left hand list (lower icon). Then select theFirst Aid Tab and run Repair Disk. The Repair Disk button won't be available until you've clicked on the Mac OS partition on your hard drive. If that repairs any problems run it again until the green OK appears and then run Repair Permissions. After repairing use Startup Disk from the same menu to choose your hard drive for restarting from your hard drive.

If your hard drive isn't recognized in Disk Utility then your hard drive is damaged beyond repair.

My mac is suddenly not starting up. I get a grey screen with a flashing ? Sign. Dnt know wht t do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.