Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" video card problems (i think)

Can anyone tell me if this is indeed a video card problem?

MBP 15" info (Dec. 2011)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

OS X Lion 10.7.5

This is what happened:

I use my mbp heavily because I edit a lot of videos with Premiere. I also use lightroom / photoshop alot + games. I also installed Parallels desktop late 2013. I don't know if that is relevant but anyway. Everything started late 2013 (a little after installing parallels actually) when there are moments when the audio wouldn't work and I couldn't adjust the volume. It would come back anyway so i didn't mind it. Then the fans were on high speed for little activity. After that the keyboard backlight couldn't be adjusted and wouldnt work. I ignored all of these cuz i wasn't troubling me at the time. In January i left for france to study - I use bike all the time and once stupidly placed my laptop on the basket going to school (rough roads). I had a class with html so I had to open Parallels, my teacher pointed out the fans and how loud they were. That day, parallels desktop said i must upgrade to windows 9 or it will restart every 2hours. I didn't of course. I didn't have time to.

After that (a few days later i think) my laptop would randomly turn into a black screen but it's still on (the power LED is on) I tried turning it off by pressing down the power button and then turning it back on. It worked the first time. During the first week, the frequency of it happening grew. It would do it almost 3 times a day. during that same week I tried to do an SMC reset. It fixed the keyboard light, fans and audio but not the black screen thing. It just keeps on happening around 1-3 times a day. It only happens when I'm using it btw, never when I just leave it. ALSO, after a few days, it would take longer hours to open my mbp again. I mean, the screen would turn black. i would turn it off, then on again. I will ONLY hear the hard drive moving but no startup sound and no grey screen and apple logo. nothing.

The following weeks after that, I asked a friend to help me out. He suggested that I install gfxCardStatus because he said it might be my video card. He instructed that I keep it on intergrated only. So I installed that and did what he said I thought it worked for a while because the black screens stopped happening (even when gfx keeps on going back to dynamic) BUT NOW, MY LAPTOP WOULD FREEZE (not turn black). I'd shut it down using the power button but it still takes me hours to open it again. Sometimes, I'd wait for the battery to drain because it would startup when i charge it (sometimes)

I tried doing AHT as well to confirm the video card problem, but the results are no problems found. I really don't want to replace my logicboard here in france. everything is more expensive here. ;__;

Today I uninstalled parallels to see if that might have had anything to do with my problem now but i think that's just wishful thinking.

Can somebody tell me if this is really about the video card? 😟 Thank you

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 1:05 PM

1 reply

MacBook Pro 15" video card problems (i think)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.