Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bizarre bug - Letter "A" superimposed over auto page numbers, but only in one font

I originally saw this on a document upgraded from Pages '09, but I can reproduce it in new documents as well. When using the font Adobe Caslon Pro, Pages superimposes a capital letter "A" over the automatic page number insert.

• Typing other numbers is fine, it's only Pages's automatic page number feature.
  • It happens regardless of style: bold, italic, underline, etc.
  • It happens on all pages, not just the first one.
  • As far as I can tell, it only happens with Adobe Caslon Pro. I haven't tested every last font I have, but every other one I've tried has not had this issue.

Any ideas on how to proceed? How to check to see if it's a Pages problem or a problem with the font? I really like this font for the document I'm using and am not keen on changing it, or making the page number a different font from the rest of the document. I've attached an image so you can see the bug in action.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Safari 7.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 1:25 PM

9 replies

Feb 23, 2014 1:41 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

You haven't said, but we presume this is happening in Pages 5 in Mavericks?

Yes, sorry! Pages 5.1, Mac OS X 10.9.1.

Have you tested it in Pages '09 in Mavericks?

Something's wrong with my copy of Pages '09, it can't seem to open any documents (just says "The document _____ could not be opened" every time.). That's why I'm moving over to the new version.

Is your Adobe Caslon Pro an otf font?

It is, yes.

Is this happening with all variants of Adobe Caslon Pro or only one style?

Every variant.

Feb 23, 2014 1:47 PM in response to nick.starr

What version of Pages '09?

Probably it is only that you have converted your documents to Pages 5 format, which Pages '09 can't open.

Can you open Pages '09 and create and save documents? Then test Adobe Caslon Pro in a new Pages '09 document.

You can Export any Pages 5 files back to Pages '09 format.

I shall test the font on my Mac.

NB Pages 5 is full of bugs as well as being virtually lobotomised by Apple.

Peter

Feb 23, 2014 2:27 PM in response to nick.starr

I have tested this in Pages 5 with Adobe Caslon Pro and can confirm that it is indeed a bug affecting only the members of the Adobe Caslon Pro family.

I checked the fonts in Font Book and they Validate without problems.

The problem does not occur in Pages '09 v4.3 on Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

Menu > Pages > Provide Pages feedback

I suggest not using Pages 5 and instead use Pages '09 which is not beta software.

If you like also rate/review Pages 5 in the App Store.

Peter

Feb 25, 2014 7:19 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I probabaly can't list them all (I have 31k fonts managed via Font Explorer Pro) - but a quick pass gives me:

DIN (all weights/styles) (postscript - also DIN bold in TrueType)

Futura (postscript)

Gotham Narrow (opentype)

Gotham Rounded (opentype)

Knockout (opentype)

Lavandaria (opentype)

Neutraface Slab Display (opentype)

Neutraface Slab Text (opentype)

Quicksand (opentype)

I was wondering if it was a font type so I went back through and added the types in parantheses. I also activated several different fonts of each type (opentype, postscript, true type) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The only pattern I can find is if it's broken for one weight/style it's broken for the entire family.

All of these fonts worked as expected in Pages iWork '09.

Bizarre bug - Letter "A" superimposed over auto page numbers, but only in one font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.