Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble shooting

I've had to reset my Time Capsule which has caused my Time Machine to fail in its backups. The error message I receive is this:

'The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. Open Time Machine preferences to select the network backup disk and re-enter the correct username and password.'

I have changed my user name and password with no positive results. I've restarted everything several times after changing the passwords, etc. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help you can provide would be great. Many thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 2:29 PM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Biina64

That sounds like a basic network issue.

DId you upgrade to Mavericks? What OS are you running if not Mavie?

Did you factory reset the TC and start over?? That is highly recommended.

Use all SMB names if you use Mavericks.

SMB is now the default network protocol. ie bad.

You MUST use names.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric for everything. TC name, wireless name and computer share name.

Reset TM.. see A4 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

If you still cannot reach the TC.. mount the hard disk manually.

Open Finder, Go .. Connect to server.

Type in

AFP://TCname.local (Where you replace TCname with the actual name and local with correct domain name.. by default it is local although you won't see it anywhere).

It will ask you for a password when the computer locates the network resources.. use public or whatever you changed the disk password to be.

Feb 23, 2014 9:55 PM in response to Biina64

What did you do the setup of the hard disk on?

Airport utility? Time machine? The local computer?

We don't know.

I think you will need to simply tell us everything. And take screenshots so we can see what you are doing.

Are you using wireless?

If so please try using ethernet as it helps get past wireless issues which is a whole class by themselves.

Take some shots of the TC and how it is setup.

What kind of modem you have and how it is setup.

trouble shooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.