Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage is unavailable when I try to turn it on?

Basically, my messages on iMessage weren't sending to my mom so I figured I'd just restart my phone, and when that didn't work I decided to turn off iMessage. Thing is, when I turned of iMessage I literally couldn't turn it back on, when I tried to it said "iMessage is unavailable - Turn on cellular data or use Wi-Fi to set up iMessage." Then it automatically flipped right back off. I had my Wi-Fi on, and cellular data, so I knew it wasn't that, so then I reset my general network settings to see if that'd help, but I'm still having the same problem. What can I do?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 10:35 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I had the exact same issue. I try to play with it and I bumped into a solution which works for me. Perhaps it will work for you as well.

Make sure you are connected to WiFi. Then go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR > CELLULAR DATA (Turn OFF). So now you are connected ONLY to WiFi. Now go to SETTINGS > MESSAGES > iMESSAGE (Turn ON). You should see msg “iMessage - Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iMessage.” Hit OK and wait for few seconds (You should see "Wanting for activation…”)

Don’t forget to Turn back ON your Cellular data ;-)

That’s it.

pls excuse my poor English ;-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2014 10:35 AM in response to JenniferVT

Hi Jennifer,

I had the exact same issue. I try to play with it and I bumped into a solution which works for me. Perhaps it will work for you as well.

Make sure you are connected to WiFi. Then go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR > CELLULAR DATA (Turn OFF). So now you are connected ONLY to WiFi. Now go to SETTINGS > MESSAGES > iMESSAGE (Turn ON). You should see msg “iMessage - Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate iMessage.” Hit OK and wait for few seconds (You should see "Wanting for activation…”)

Don’t forget to Turn back ON your Cellular data ;-)

That’s it.

pls excuse my poor English ;-)

iMessage is unavailable when I try to turn it on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.