Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is iOS 6 subject to the same SSL/TLS vulnerability?

The news is blaring warnings about using iPhones, iPads, and Macs on shared networks because of a problem with SSL/TLS. Apple's releases make it clear that iOS7 and Mac OSX 10.9 and specifically vulnerable to this.

3rd party sites suggest the vulnerability was introduced recently in iOS7 and Mac OSX 10.9, but do not specifically exempt iOS 6 versions, or Mac OSX 10.8 and earlier.

I went on the gotofail.com test page with my Mac on 10.8.5, and it said my client wasn't vulnerable, but a link on that website did suggest Safari on MacOSX 10.9 was vulnerable to a "BEAST" attack. Firefox was not.

My iPhone's are still on iOS6 because they are 4S's and I didn't want to suffer slowdowns from excessive iOS7 overhead for new special effects. However, there doesn't appear to be any mechanism for updating iOS6 if these are also subject to the same vulnerability. One third party web site did suggest that a fix for iOS6 was in the works, but my phones only show the iOS 7.0.6 update in the general settings. There is no option for an iOS6 update without switching entirely to iOS7.

What is the actual word from Apple? Are iOS6 users and MacOSX 10.8 and earlier users SAFE?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.5, Mac OSX 10.8.5

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 3:29 PM

4 replies

Feb 23, 2014 4:45 PM in response to whidbeyben3

iOS 7 works fine on an iPhone 4S - I've been running it since I got mine last fall and have had no issues. I did turn off the "fade" affect that was introduced, but that's the only modification I made.

Battery life is great and I don't see any abnormal slowdowns; I reboot the phone about once a week because I use it heavily and it seems to need it.

~Lyssa

Feb 23, 2014 4:55 PM in response to whidbeyben3

Hello! Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I am a fellow iPhone 4S user and i've proven that iOS 7 works great for the iPhone 4S! I did notice that games are being more graphics intensive because of the A7, but other than that, iOS 7 is just like as speedy as iOS 6. The new Animations were ok, fluid and overall responsive. Now, iOS 6 users are subject to the security hole just like iOS 7, that's why Apple released iOS 6.1.6 but iOS 6.1.6 is for devices not supported by iOS 7. As for OS X, i'll recommend you to install either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Until the update gets out, please refrain from using Safari for OS X, for security reasons.

is iOS 6 subject to the same SSL/TLS vulnerability?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.