Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Util cannot unmount ext HD to format or partition

Computer: MacBook Pro Retina 13" latest model. All updates have been applied.

I have a 1TB WD external harddrive. It has 2 partitions (1 FAT32, 1 Mac OS Extended). This drive was working properly until one day it stopped mounting.

Problem:

- Mac OS Extended partition: Will not mount. I can see it greyed out in Disk Utility. The entire drive will not unmount.

- FAT32: Mounts in OSX but will not unmount. I can access FAT32 partition via Parallels (Win7).

Bigger Problem: I'm cannot re-format or re-partition the drive. Disk Utility provides an error that the drive cannot unmount.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 6:11 PM

1 reply

Feb 23, 2014 6:58 PM in response to RBSL

I made a mistake in the original post. I CANNOT access the FAT32 via Parallels because it will not unmount from OSX.

This is how I fixed it....

• Booted up my Windows laptop and used Computer Management to delete both volumes (partitions).
  • Re-partitioned as 1 partition (ex-fat) and formatted.
  • Booted up MacBook and used Disk Utility to re-format as Mac OS Extended.

This appears to work fine, and I am able to use it for Time Machine now.

My question now is: How could I have accomplished this in OSX? I know some people will say maybe the drive is going bad. For this question, let's assume it's ok.

Disk Util cannot unmount ext HD to format or partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.