Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plesase help... my Intel 120g SSD show up only have 8 mb capacity???

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Physical Interconnect: SATA

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

INTEL SSDSA2CW120G3:

Capacity: 8.4 MB (8,388,608 bytes)

Model: INTEL SSDSA2CW120G3

Revision: 4PC10302

Serial Number: BAD_CTX 00000133

Native Command Queuing: No

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: No

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

UNTITLED 1:

Capacity: 6.3 MB (6,291,456 bytes)

Available: 6.2 MB (6,237,184 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT16

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/UNTITLED 1

Content: Microsoft Basic Data

Could someone help with this??

How to get my disk working again???

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), I'm using a 17-inch Early 2011 mbp

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 5:54 PM

14 replies

Feb 23, 2014 6:04 PM in response to SadboyneedHelp

Reformat an External Hard Disk

NOTE: This will delete all data on the external disk

Launch Disk Utility in any of the following ways:

> Type the first few letters of its name into Spotlight. Select it from the results.

> Open it from Launchpad.

> Go Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Select the Intel SSD, not the UNTITLED partition.

Click on the Erase tab.

Enter a name and select the desired filesystem. Mac OS Journaled (Extended) is recomended.

Select the Erase button.

Hope I helped. If you have any more questions, just reply.

Austin

Feb 23, 2014 6:12 PM in response to SadboyneedHelp

Erase and Reinstall OS X

NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE

To erase your hard disk, and then reinstall OS X, go  > Restart.

When your computer restarts, hold in both the Command (⌘) and the R keys until you see the OS X Utilities window pops up.

Select Disk Utility.

Select your Intel SSD from the left, and then select the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, go Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

If you are not connected to the internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top right corner of the screen).

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and follow the instructions.

I hope I helped.

Austin

Feb 23, 2014 6:17 PM in response to SadboyneedHelp

Try this.

1. Open Disk Utility by holding down Command (⌘) and the R keys until you see the OS X Utilities window pops up, and then select Disk Utility.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Feb 23, 2014 6:19 PM in response to SadboyneedHelp

And then, follow these steps after you complete the steps in my previous post:

Erase and Reinstall OS X

NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE

To erase your hard disk, and then reinstall OS X, go  > Restart.

When your computer restarts, hold in both the Command (⌘) and the R keys until you see the OS X Utilities window pops up.

Select Disk Utility.

Select your Intel SSD from the left, and then select the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, go Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

If you are not connected to the internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top right corner of the screen).

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and follow the instructions.

I hope I helped.

Austin

Feb 23, 2014 6:48 PM in response to SadboyneedHelp

So you installed an SSD in place of the optical drive as a second HD or exactly what did you do? And, why do you have an internal disk (in a Mac) formatted to:

MS-DOS FAT16 ?

See here (there is a file limitation on that format):

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3764

As I don't run anything Windows, I'm not sure if this is the source of your problem, but I'd put at least part of the blame on it. You need to reformat, possibly repartition - follow Austin's instructions.

Feb 24, 2014 7:53 AM in response to SadboyneedHelp

When a SSD show up with very little drive space that is a sign of one or two things wrong with it. It has failed and will need to be replaced or it needs to be power cycled. To power cycle it you disconnected from the system and just supply power to it for about 10 minutes. Then turn the power off. The next time you power it up it might show the correct size. If it doesn't then it has failed in some way. Intel SSDs have at least a 3 year warranty and will be replace for free. Contact Intel for a RMA #.

Plesase help... my Intel 120g SSD show up only have 8 mb capacity???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.