Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cd will not eject. I've tried every single thing I've found on google. I also spilled a bit of coffee on my macbook recently, not sure if that did anything to the cd drive.

My cd will not eject after burning a playlist. I've tried every single thing I've found. I also spilled a little coffee on my macbook recently and I'm wondering if this messed up the cd drive and how to ever get it out.

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 10:07 PM

Here is the troubleshooter:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2097

Coffee is not the best material for coating a MacBook. But getting the CD out may or may not be related.

9 replies

Feb 23, 2014 10:25 PM in response to lkj33

Everything with my macbook has worked just fine since the coffee spill (although the screen did go black at the time)... I'm just wondering if I want to even ask about the cd drive at a genius bar appointment because there might be more wrong and it might be costly if it's coffee related. I might be content to just not have the cd drive work.

Feb 23, 2014 10:42 PM in response to sberman

thanks! i didn't even know there was such a thing as a superdrive. i guess i can see at a genius bar if they can get a cd out right there? an estimate of a repair cost isn't good enough for me because i have no $... still paying off most of the macbook cost anyway so it will be a long time before i get a new one.

Feb 23, 2014 10:48 PM in response to lkj33

Yes, they may well be able to eject the CD at the Genius Bar.

The Superdrive has been around for about six years - since the MacBook Air came out. The MacBook Air (which I own) has no CD drive included. To do anything with a CD, you must either use a Superdrive (which I do), or "borrow" another computer's CD drive.

Feb 23, 2014 10:57 PM in response to sberman

I always wondered if there was a solution to the macbook air problem having no cd drive... I see that a superdrive plays and can burn cds... I'm assuming it also uploads the cd into itunes... that's what i want because i have so many cds i want to put back on itunes after losing all of them a few years ago.

I'll definitely take it to the genius bar then and see if they can do anything right there. I've tried every single thing. Hopefully they can tell me that if my macbook is otherwise fine several weeks after a coffee spill then i have nothing to worry about.

Feb 24, 2014 12:56 AM in response to lkj33

Don't buy a Superdrive without confirming that it will work with your Mac. I quote from a recent post by David Empson in Usenet:

1. Without modifying either OS X or the hardware in the drive, it can

only be used on Macs which were supplied by Apple without a built-in

optical drive (with one exception - some Mac Mini generations where

there was a mixture of models with and without optical drives).

In particular, you can't use it on a Mac where you had removed the

optical drive to install another hard drive, nor on one where the

built-in optical drive has died in some way, nor on a non-Mac.

2. It needs more than 500 mA from the USB port, so even if you make a

modification to get around the host model check, it will still only work

when plugged directly into a built-in USB port on a Mac which is able to

recognise Apple peripherals and supply more than 500 mA on request,

which was a new feature in most Mac models from Mid 2007 (the Mac Mini

didn't get that feature until Early 2009).

(My emphasis.) I can't answer for the accuracy of all this, but obviously you should bear it in mind.

My cd will not eject. I've tried every single thing I've found on google. I also spilled a bit of coffee on my macbook recently, not sure if that did anything to the cd drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.