Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closing an account after a person dies

I've been searching for an Apple corporate contact point for my question, but I keep running into dead ends. I'm writing instructions for my survivors to tell them what they must do with my digital affairs upon my death. I found the following on Apple's "Legal" page--

No Right of Survivorship

You agree that your Account is non-transferable and that any rights to your Apple ID or Content within your Account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate your Account may be terminated and all Content within your Account deleted. Contact iCloud Support at www.apple.com/support/icloud for further assistance.

Note that sentence: Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate ... . How does one send such a document to Apple? Is there a fax number? Does the executor send it by snail-mail to the Cupertino offices? Attention whom? Does the copy need to be notarized? What if the person had two Apple IDs (as I do)--do they need two copies? How much detail does the executor have to provide?

We're talking lawyer stuff here, and I know from experience that legal stuff can get complicated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:33 PM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2014 6:40 AM in response to babowa

I sent the same question yesterday to Microsoft Corporation (I'd found a way to message them directly). I got an almost immediate response from one of their legal beagles. They gave me detailed instructions and listed exactly the information and supporting documents they require. They also provided both a fax number and a postal address. And that was on a Sunday. I was impressed.

Closing an account after a person dies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.