Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am making a family documentary video for school, and i was wondering if i could legally use music i bought form itunes and put it in an imovie.

im not selling it or burning and disks other than for the teacher. can i do this? im looking for an answer from someonee who actually knows

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 9:19 PM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Pseudanon

Judy's reply is rather off the point if your question, though as you'll see from my response below, it may apply in part.

To the specific point of your question, no, you cannot use tracks purchased from the ITunes Store. Music you purchase from the iTunes Store (or on CD) is for your own personal use and can't be given to anyone else, not even your teacher as part of a school project. You can compose tracks in GarageBand or Logic yourself and use those, or you can look for free music (and I mean truly free, not pirated and put on some web site) and include that in your video.

Regards.

Feb 26, 2014 9:19 PM in response to Pseudanon

how come there is an option to import music from itunes then? is there any instance where someone could legally do that?
  • Your iTunes library may contain royalty free songs, that you want to use - your own recordings, e.g. GarageBand projects you created, free songs from the internet.
  • Or your school will have to pay a fee, when it plays the movie with pruchased music publicly in class - that will depend on the country you are in. In Germany, for example, any public performance of music that is not your own composition, will require to pay a fee to the GEMA. Our university pays this fee for the lecturs that require to play music.

Feb 27, 2014 7:01 AM in response to Pseudanon

Pseudanon wrote:

how come there is an option to import music from itunes then? is there any instance where someone could legally do that?

When you're using this only for your own purposes, such as for playing a video for your family. But again, you cannot give that video away to anyone else, for any reason, post it to any public site, nor play it in public.

Regards.

i am making a family documentary video for school, and i was wondering if i could legally use music i bought form itunes and put it in an imovie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.