Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook air freezes when ejecting usb drive

Hi all,

Every time when I tried to eject usb drive from my macbook air, the whole system freezes. I can open and close applications but unable to shut down the computer. The only way is to hold the power key for a long time and force to shut down the system.

Can anyone figure out what's wrong?

Thank you very much!

Alice

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 1:01 AM

5 replies

Feb 24, 2014 2:06 AM in response to orangeli

Welcome to Apple Discussion

Repeated forced shutdowns can damage your SSD so you need to get to the bottom of this problem.

As I understand your problem you attach a USB drive. It mounts in the finder and you can read/write to it. When you are done reading/writing you quit all applications and from the finder window sidebar press the eject arrow or right (command-click) the drive icon and choose eject at which point you can not do apple -> shutdown?

Try force quitting the finder. (command-option-escape) choose finder, force quit then try Apple shutdown.

BTW if you are using Mavericks the behavior of the power button has been changed: to bring up the quit dialogue box you need to hold control while tapping the power button.

Feb 24, 2014 7:51 PM in response to themachead

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. The same situation happened again today and I followed your instruction. Since the Finder was frozen as well (so as the top bar) so I tried force quit. After I relauched Finder and force-quited Word, the top bar disappeared and everything on my desktop disappeared too. I waited for a long time then I tried to shut down my computer by holding control key while tapping the power button. The computer went to a whole white screen. I waited for another 10 mins but it still remained the same. Then I have no choice but to force shutdown.

This situation has been happened almost every time when I eject my usb drive.

I really appreciate your advices.

Alice

Mar 15, 2015 4:18 PM in response to themachead

Thanks for looking at this, themachead. I was led to this page because I am experiencing exactly the same issue. It is not only very irritating but I also realize that I could corrupt my partition.

This happens to me frequently. It happens (almost) all the time with the volume I use for Time Machine. It was happening with the previous Time Machine volume, so assuming it was hardware related I bought a new, larger hard drive only to find the same symptom. Now I turn off TM after use, but it doesn't seem to help either. As a result I just don't use TM as often and use other methods to backup data.

It happened again today with a different USB thumb drive. I just ran Repair Disk in Disk Utility and found no errors.

My Macbook air freezes when ejecting usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.