Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup new iPad

I have a new iPad and still on a learning curve

I do not use my iPad that often and today I received the following message:

"This iPad has'nt been backed-up for 3 weeks. Back-up happens when this iPad is plugged in locked and connected"

Please explian this in simple terms to a newbie.

I read it as I need to plug the iPad with a connection to a wall socket. Swtich on the iPad , not to unlock the screen and wait for the iPad to back-up.

Having just typed this I must ask although my Mac computer has an iCloud account does this mean the iPad will automaticlly back-up. If not, what else should I be doing to ensure back-up on my iPad.

Thank you

Sue

P.S. My iPad is only wi-fi

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 3:13 AM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2014 3:20 AM in response to Susiewong

If the message is stuck on the screen and you can't clear it then try a soft-reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider if it appears), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Automatic iCloud backups should happen (if you have iCloud backups enabled) when the iPad is plugged into power, connected to a wifi network, and isn't being used (e.g. it's screen is off). You can also force an iCloud backup via Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Back Up Now

But not everything is included in an iCloud backup e.g. if you need to restore to a backup then you will only be able to redownload you purchases depending upon what type of item it was (audiobooks and ringtones are one-time only downloads), your country (music, films and/or TV programmes can't be redownloaded in all), and if the item is still in your country's store - so it's adviseable to copy your purchases over to your computer's iTunes library by connecting it and doing File > Devices > Transfer Purchases on your computer's iTunes.

Backups and restores : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

Choosing whether to backup to cloud or iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Backup new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.