Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey screen with a 'blocked' symbol and spinning wheel

I came home to my 2 week old Macbook air after my brother had been using it to find a grey screen with a 'block' simbol (i.e. road block symbol with circle and line diagonaly through it) where the apple logo usually is and a spinning wheel. I held the power button for a few second and it turned off, then restarted it aparently fine. What did this screen mean? Did i disrupt anything i should not have by shutting it down?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 2:43 AM

3 replies

Feb 24, 2014 4:39 AM in response to cody133

That symbol appears when the boot system is missing extensions for your machine. It has been know to occur when the operating system from a different (older or newer) mac OS has been copied or restored or set as the boot volume for a particular Mac. It means "though a boot volume (system folder) has been found" - the machine can not use it.

Feb 25, 2014 10:09 AM in response to cody133

> Did i disrupt anything i should not have by shutting it down?

No. When the Mac is frozen or otherwise will not shutdown forcing a power off is the prescribed procedure.

If it continues to happen and dominic23's sugestions do not help, take it back to Apple for a free repair or replacement. It has a one-year standard warranty and three years if you purchased AppleCare.

Grey screen with a 'blocked' symbol and spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.