Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect "Over Capacity" Window

Not sure whether this is iTunes' or my iPhone's problem...

I am attempting to sync music to my iPhone 4S. All software is updated both on iTunes and the 4S. When I'm on the iTune "Summary" page for my iPhone, it says I have 2.76 GB of space free. However, when I try to sync, a window appears telling me I'm over capacity by (this time) 406 MB. (This number changes constantly).

My iPhone, however, says it has 6 GB free.

Any advice for making my devices communicate better?

(I should add that about a week ago, my iPhone decided it wasn't able to play over half my music. I had to re-sync the entire thing manually to my iTunes library. Wondering if it's just time for a new phone?)

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 10:39 AM

Hello there, InThurman.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for troubleshooting what seems to be your issue:

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1503

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your device, then syncing again to solve this issue.

Orphaned files may remain on your iOS device if it is physically disconnected while syncing music, podcasts, videos, or photos. This can prevent iTunes from syncing the iOS device on subsequent sync sessions. When this happens, the Capacity indicator in iTunes may report a large amount of "Other" disk usage for the iOS device. To resolve this issue:

1. Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.
  2. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
  3. Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.
  4. Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.
    If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 5.
  5. Turn off the automatic syncing functions for the iOS device. To do this:
    1. Select the iOS device from the iTunes window and click the Summary tab.
    2. Deselect "Automatically sync when this device is connected" and select the "Sync only checked songs and videos" checkbox.
    3. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
    4. Reduce the amount of data that is being synced to the device and resync the device. For example, if syncing your Music library exceeds the memory capacity of the device, choose "Selected playlists" to transfer rather than "All songs and playlists" under the Music tab in iTunes.
      If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 6.
  6. Restore using iTunes.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2014 10:39 AM in response to lnThurman

Hello there, InThurman.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for troubleshooting what seems to be your issue:

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1503

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your device, then syncing again to solve this issue.

Orphaned files may remain on your iOS device if it is physically disconnected while syncing music, podcasts, videos, or photos. This can prevent iTunes from syncing the iOS device on subsequent sync sessions. When this happens, the Capacity indicator in iTunes may report a large amount of "Other" disk usage for the iOS device. To resolve this issue:

1. Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.
  2. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
  3. Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.
  4. Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.
    If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 5.
  5. Turn off the automatic syncing functions for the iOS device. To do this:
    1. Select the iOS device from the iTunes window and click the Summary tab.
    2. Deselect "Automatically sync when this device is connected" and select the "Sync only checked songs and videos" checkbox.
    3. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
    4. Reduce the amount of data that is being synced to the device and resync the device. For example, if syncing your Music library exceeds the memory capacity of the device, choose "Selected playlists" to transfer rather than "All songs and playlists" under the Music tab in iTunes.
      If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 6.
  6. Restore using iTunes.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Mar 27, 2014 8:01 PM in response to pedro d

Thanks for your quick response, Pedro. However, this is unfortunately not my issue.

Like I said in my original post, my computer states that I have plenty of space free, but when I try to sync, I get the "over capacity" warning. I had already tried steps 1-5 before coming to this site.

My iPhone is also freaking out and is now only playing around 10% of the music that was previously uploaded on it. I think I'm going to start a new thread for this problem, because it's so weird and so annoying. (I should add that the only music it will play is music I have bought directly on iTunes in the past 2 years. Anything else, which I purchased from a computer I previously owned or which I burned from CDs, is no longer recognized by my iPhone. Grrrrr...)

Mar 28, 2014 12:07 AM in response to lnThurman

I have no solution for you but I do have the same exact problem between my two iPads. The usage bar will show over capacity but it will sync and the in the middle of the sync, it will show what it should have.

I've also had my iPad show that there is only 2.5 GB left but I was still able to sync a 3.5 GB movie to it.

iTunes and iOS has some serious bugs here. I know you are talking about your iPhone, I've just had the same problems with my iPads.

Incorrect "Over Capacity" Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.